||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015)|
|Bryan "Brain" Mantia|
Bryan Mantia in 1998.
|Birth name||Bryan Kei Mantia|
|Also known as||Brain
Bryan "Brain" Mantia
February 4, 1963 |
Cupertino, California, United States
|Genres||Alternative metal, alternative rock, hard rock, funk|
|Instruments||Drums, percussion, turntables|
|Associated acts||Giant Robot, Praxis, Primus, Buckethead, Guns N' Roses, Godflesh, Pieces, El Stew, No Forcefield, Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains, Serj Tankian, Melissa Reese |
Bryan "Brain" Mantia is an American contemporary rock drummer and composer. He has played with bands such as Primus, Guns N' Roses, Praxis, and Godflesh, and with other popular performers such as Tom Waits, Serj Tankian, Bill Laswell, Bootsy Collins, and Buckethead. He has also done session work for numerous artists and bands.
Born in the South Bay city of Cupertino, California to an Italian-American father and a Japanese American mother, Mantia became interested in such 'groove heavy' artists as James Brown, Led Zeppelin, and with Buckethead outside of Praxis – playing on such solo Buckethead albums as Giant Robot and Monsters and Robots.
The late '90s saw Mantia appear on releases by Godflesh (Songs of Love and Hate, Love and Hate in Dub) and longtime, the Ostinato and the Up Down Technique. The video is shot to look like a home movie and includes many humorous moments including a sit down steak dinner with his parents right in the middle of Brain "shredding" on a toy drum set. Although silly at times, the video is extremely informative for drummers looking to learn the hard grooves he is known for.
In the early summer of 2006, after four warm-up dates in New York City, Mantia toured Europe with Guns N' Roses. On June 21, 2006 it was announced he was taking a break from the GN'R tour. In Brain's absence replacement drummer Frank Ferrer has been performing in most of the band's shows. In the Fall of 2006, Ferrer was promoted to an official member of the band, which fueled speculation that Mantia had resigned or been fired from Guns N' Roses. However, Axl Rose mentioned him "working on things for the band" during his fan-forum interviews in December 2008. In the liner notes for GN'R's 2008 album, Chinese Democracy, replacement drummer Frank Ferrer thanks Mantia, saying "[Frank Ferrer would like to thank]... Brain, God bless you and your family." Additionally, Rose is rumored to have briefly considered a rotating drummer line-up for the 2009-10 leg of the Chinese Democracy World Tour that would have seen Mantia playing the band's Chinese Democracy material while Ferrer played the band's classic material. Ultimately, Brain only ended up making a guest appearance at Guns N' Roses' House of Blues West Hollywood show on March 12, 2012 playing congas on "You're Crazy" and "Rocket Queen".
Since his hiatus from GN'R, Mantia has primarily been focused on music behind the scenes as a composer and producer. Though in 2013/14 Mantia did a stint of drumming with band The Crystal Method for their new record (on which he was featured). These performances included appearances on Jimmy Kimmel Live, and Last Call with Carson Daly 
In 2011, Mantia partnered with singer Melissa Reese to form “Brain and Melissa”, a composing team. The duo composed two game themes for Sony Playstation and several pieces of original music for Playstation HOME, Mod Nation and Twisted Metal X. They also scored the music for the Playstation video games Infamous Second Son and Infamous 2 which was nominated for “Outstanding Achievement in Original Composition” by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences.
Brain and Melissa composed the music for the 2011 horror comedy film Detention. They have worked with music video director Joseph Kahn on several television commercials for NASCAR, Trust Bank, Seat, Qoros and Johnnie Walker Blue (showcasing the posthumous appearance by Bruce Lee).
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (May 2015)|
DW Collector's Series Maple drums in Tony Williams Yellow Lacquer with Custom Yellow Hardware
18x24 Bass Drum
8x12, 9x13 Toms
16x16, 16x18 Floor Toms w/ Legs
6x14 Edge Snare
9000 Single Bass Drum Pedal
9300 Snare Stand
9700 Straight/Boom Cymbal Stand (x6)
9900 Double Tom Stand (x2)
14" A Mastersound Hi-Hats
19" A Medium Thin Crash (2)
20" K CrashRide
20" A Deep Ride
20" A Medium Thin Crash
22" Oriental China "Trash"
Akai MPC 60 II, 3000 LE, 4000
Technics SL-1210MKZ Turntables with a M44Gs stylus
Vestax PMCO5PRO DJMixer
- Brain's Lessons: Shredding Repis On the Gnar Gnar Rad – 2002 instructional video
- Brain's Worst Drum Instructional DVD Ever – 2008 instructional video
- Stinky Grooves – 1990
- Transmutation – 1992
- Sacrifist – 1994
- Metatron – 1994
- Live in Poland – 1997
- Transmutation Live – 1997
- Warszawa – 1999
- Tennessee 2004 – 2007
- Profanation – 2008
- Interstate 76 soundtrack – 1996
- Giant Robot
- Giant Robot – 1996
- Songs of Love and Hate – 1996
- I Need 5 Minutes Alone – 1997
- Tom Waits
- Bone Machine - 1992
- Mule Variations - 1999
- Real Gone - 2004
- Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards - 2006
- Colma – 1998
- Monsters and Robots – 1999
- The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell – 2004
- Kevin's Noodle House – 2007
- A Real Diamond in the Rough (tracks 2, 4, & 7) – 2009
- Best Regards – 2010
- Brain as Hamenoodle – 2010
- Kind Regards – 2010
- El Stew
- No Hesitation – 1999
- No Forcefield
- Lee's Oriental Message|Lee's Oriental Massage 415-626-1837 – 2000
- God Is an Excuse – 2001
- Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains
- The Big Eyeball in the Sky – 2004
- Serj Tankian
- Buckethead and Travis Dickerson
- The Dragons of Eden – 2008
- Guns N' Roses
- Chinese Democracy – 2008
- Science Faxtion
- Living on Another Frequency – 2008
- Travis Dickerson
- Iconography – 2009
- [dead link]
- "Interview with Guns N' Roses drummer Bryan "Brain" Mantia - TalkHumor.com". Wickedinfo.com. November 9, 2008. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "The Crystal Method Celebrates 20 Years Together, Release 5th Studio Album". Thedjlist.com. 2014-01-13. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- "The Crystal Method To Appear On Last Call With Carson Daly Tonight". Philspicks.wordpress.com. 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- "Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition". Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Detention (2011)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- "BBH China brings Legend Bruce Lee back to life in gamechanging campaign for Johnnie Walker". Campaign Brief. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- Official homepage
- Video of Mantia
- Audio Interview with Brain from the podcast "I'd Hit That"
- Interview with Bryan Mantia – WickedInfo.com