Mitchell with the New York Yankees
|New York Yankees – No. 55|
April 19, 1991 |
Reidsville, North Carolina
|August 10, 2014, for the New York Yankees|
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||4.52|
Mitchell attended Rockingham County High School in Reidsville, North Carolina. Playing for the school's baseball team, the North Carolina Baseball Coaches Association named Mitchell to their All-State team in 2009. He committed to attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC) to play college baseball for the North Carolina Tar Heels. The Yankees selected him in the 16th round of the 2009 MLB Draft, after teams passed on him due to his commitment to UNC. Mitchell chose to sign with the Yankees, rather than enroll at UNC. He received an $800,000 signing bonus.
In 2012, Mitchell played for the Charleston RiverDogs of the Class A South Atlantic League, and was named an All-Star. In 2013, he pitched for the Tampa Yankees of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League and the Trenton Thunder of the Class AA Eastern League.
The Yankees added Mitchell to their 40-man roster on November 20, 2013. He began the 2015 season with Trenton, and was promoted to the major leagues for the first time on April 20, 2014. He injured his arm while warming up and was optioned back to the minors without appearing in a game. He received a midseason promotion to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders of the Class AAA International League. On July 13, Mitchell was called up again. He again was optioned to the minors without appearing in a game. He made his MLB debut on August 10, 2014. He made his first major league start on September 12.
Mitchell began the 2015 season with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, and was promoted to the major leagues on June 19. On August 17, Mitchell was hit in the face by a line drive hit by Eduardo Núñez. He was taken out of the game, and diagnosed with a nasal fracture.
- "All-State baseball team announced". wect.com. July 15, 2009. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- "Yanks find loads of talent on Draft Day 2". New York Yankees. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- "Reidsville's Bryan Mitchell called up by Yankees". News & Record. July 14, 2014. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- "Bryan Mitchell on his big leap in 2013". Web.yesnetwork.com. September 19, 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Yanks make deal with Padres, add six to 40-man roster". Newyork.yankees.mlb.com. November 20, 2013. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- "Yankees Sunday: Vidal Nuno to start, roster moves ahead". NJ.com. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- "Bryan Mitchell finally makes major-league debut". Newsday. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- "Yankees calling up top pitching prospect Bryan Mitchell". New York Post. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- Marchand, Andrew (August 17, 2015). "Yankees P Bryan Mitchell has nasal fracture after taking line drive to face". ESPN.com. Retrieved August 18, 2015.