|Full name||Bryan Josué Oviedo Jiménez|
|Date of birth||18 February 1990|
|Place of birth||Ciudad Quesada, Costa Rica|
|Height||1.72 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Playing position||Left winger / Left back|
|2011||→ Nordsjælland (loan)||14||(0)|
|2009||Costa Rica U20||6||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of match played 25 January 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Bryan Josué Oviedo Jiménez (born 18 February 1990) is a Costa Rican footballer, currently playing for Everton in the Premier League. Oviedo has previously represented Saprissa, FC Copenhagen and Nordsjælland. He has represented Costa Rica at U17, U20 and full international level.
After his outstanding performance in U-20 World Cup 2009 in Egypt, he had the opportunity to play in the first team, playing some games before leaving for Europe.
In early 2010 he began his European adventure, Copenhagen buying his services until 2013. In his first months, he was loaned to FC Nordsjælland and had more participation, even managed to win the 2010–11 Danish Cup. Bryan returned again to the Danish capital for the 2011–2012 season, and made his first official team appearance on 5 May 2010, when Copenhagen finally secured the Danish championship with a 4–0 victory against HB Køge. In the first half of the 2011–2012 season, he managed to break into the starting lineup, benching Pierre Bengtsson.
On 31 August 2012, Oviedo signed for English Premier League side Everton for an undisclosed fee. He made his debut as an 85th minute substitute during a 3–0 away league win over Swansea City in September. Oviedo was very much a squad player during his first season with Everton as he made 15 league appearances, 14 of those as a substitute. In 2012, in a starting 11 against Norwich City, Oviedo picked up his first assist for the club. He scored his first goal for Everton on 30 November 2013 in a 4–0 win over Stoke City, also picking up an assist. Four days later he scored against Manchester United in the 86th minute in a 1–0 win, leading Everton to their first win at Old Trafford in 21 years.
On 25 January 2014, Oviedo suffered a broken left leg 18 minutes into the Stevenage vs Everton FA Cup Fourth Round tie. He sustained the injury from a tackle by Stevenage midfielder Simon Heslop. The injury is a clean break to both his tibia and fibula.
Immediately after the game, speaking to BT Sport, Everton manager Roberto Martínez said "A real negative today is the unfortunate incident and we need to give Bryan as much support as we can now. He's had a terrific season and I've been very impressed with him. He's an important player in the group and he deserves a speedy recovery. The injury to Bryan affected everyone. Those type of injuries leave a sick taste."
Everton later confirmed that Oviedo would require surgery to heal a double fracture of his left leg.
In 2007, Oviedo represented Costa Rica at the CONCACAF U17 Tournament (a precursor to the CONCACAF U17 Championship). Oviedo played in all three games, beating Trinidad and Tobago 2–0, drawing 0–0 with Canada and losing 2–1 to United States. Costa Rica finished in second place in Group B and successfully qualifying for the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup. Oviedo was not selected in the U17 World Cup squad.
Two years later Oviedo was named in the 2009 CONCACAF U-20 Championship squad. Oviedo's Costa Rica beat Mexico 1–0 in their opening game, drew 0–0 with Trinidad and Tobago and beat Canada 2–1 in the final group stage game. Oviedo was not named in the team for the semi-final against Honduras but played in the final where Costa Rica beat USA 3–0. Due to the successful campaign in the U-20 Championship, Costa Rica qualified for the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup. Oviedo retained his place in the national under 20 team and was named in the squad for the U-20 World Cup.
The U20 World Cup did not get off to the best of starts, Oviedo featured in the team lost 5–0 to Brazil in Costa Rica's opening game in Group E. In the second game he helped Costa Rica defeat Australia 3–0 and was also named in the team that lost their final group game against Czech Republic 3–2. The three points were enough to qualify and Costa Rica defeated hosts Egypt 2–0 in front of 81,860 in the knock out stage. Costa Rica beat United Arab Emirates 2–1 after extra time in the quarter finals and lost to Brazil 1–0 at the semi-final stage. The Costa Rican's met Hungary in the third place playoff where they were defeated on penalties after a 1–1 draw.
He played his first match with the Costa Rican national team against Argentina on 26 January 2010.
Oviedo was named in the Costa Rican squad for the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup, Costa Rica finished second in Group A after opening with a 5–0 win against Cuba, a 1–1 draw with El Salvador ensuring qualification before losing 4–1 to Mexico in the final group stage game. Costa Rica were knocked out of the competition following a penalty shootout after a 1–1 draw with Honduras.
- Winner: 2012
- "Clubs submit retained and released lists". Premier League. 7 June 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Bryan Oviedo solgt til Everton" (in Danish). FCK.dk. 31 August 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "Bryan Oviedo completes Everton move for £5m fee". BBC Sport. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "Swansea 0–3 Everton". BBC Sport. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- "Bryan Oviedo 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Archived from the original on 29 June 2013. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- "Everton 4–0 Stoke". BBC Sport. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Manchester United 0–1 Everton". Sky Sports News. 4 December 2013. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Graeme Yorke (25 January 2014). "Bryan Oviedo taken to hospital with broken leg during Everton's win over Stevenage | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk.
- "BBC Sport – Bryan Oviedo: Everton midfielder suffers double leg fracture". Bbc.co.uk. 25 January 2014.
- "Martinez Gives Oviedo Update / News Archive / News / evertonfc.com – The Official Website of Everton Football Club". Evertonfc.com. 25 January 2014.
- "2007 CONCACAF U17 Tournament Technical Report" (PDF). CONCACAF. 2007. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "2009 CONCACAF U20 Championship Technical Report". CONCACAF.com. 2009. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup Technical Report" (PDF). FIFA. 2009.
- "2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup Technical Report" (PDF). CONCACAF.com. 2011. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Af: Peter Elsnab. "Ekstra Bladet – Årets pokalfighter er fra FCK" (in (Danish)). Ekstrabladet.dk.
- SoccerWay profile
- Transfermarkt profile
- Bryan Oviedo – FIFA competition record
- Bryan Oviedo – UEFA competition record
- Profile at EvertonFC.com