||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
Asheville, North Carolina
|Associated acts||Ricky Skaggs|
Sutton first came to prominence as part of Ricky Skaggs' bluegrass band Kentucky Thunder. Sutton eventually left the band to focus on session work. In addition to Skaggs, Sutton has toured with the Dixie Chicks, Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush, Béla Fleck, Hot Rize, Chris Thile, Tony Rice and others.
Bryan was asked to join the seminal bluegrass quartet Hot Rize in 2002. He has toured with them ever since and has only missed one show since they reformed.
Bryan won a Grammy Award in 2007 for his guitar duet with Doc Watson on the bluegrass classic "Whiskey Before Breakfast". The song was recorded using 3 vintage Neumann microphones and a laptop in a Colorado hotel room by Engineer Phil Harris.
In 2007-08, Sutton toured with Chris Thile & The How to Grow a Band.
Bryan is one of the most in-demand session players in Nashville, and recently produced a record for Della Mae and the Cash Cabin. His style is a unique blend of staccato mixed with powerful chormatic and melodic movements which is integrated into the more common bluegrass, blues and folk leads that are common to the genre.
Bryan plays a Bourgeois "Country Boy Deluxe" model dreadnought and also has his own signature model, the "Banjo Killer" slope-shouldered dreadnought. He also regularly performs with a 1940 Martin D-28.
|Title||Album details||Peak positions|
|Ready to Go||
|Not Too Far from the Tree||
|Into My Own||
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
|2014||"That's Where I Belong"||Bill Filipiak|
- 2000 - IBMA Guitar Player of the Year
- 2003 - IBMA Guitar Player of the Year
- 2004 - IBMA Guitar Player of the Year
- 2005 - IBMA Guitar Player of the Year
- 2006 - IBMA Guitar Player of the Year
- 2007 - Grammy Award for Best Country Instrumental Performance for Whiskey Before Breakfast w/ Doc Watson
- 2011 - IBMA Guitar Player of the Year 
- 2013 - IBMA Guitar Player of the Year
- 2014 - IBMA Guitar Player of the Year
- "CMT: Videos : Bryan Sutton : That's Where I Belong". Country Music Television. Retrieved October 13, 2014.
- "STEVE MARTIN & THE STEEP CANYON RANGERS NAMED IBMA ENTERTAINERS OF THE YEAR". International Bluegrass Music Association. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- BryanSutton.com, Official site
- Bryan Sutton Interview
- Online Bluegrass Guitar School with Bryan Sutton