Bryan Townsend (American politician)
|Member of the Delaware Senate
from the 11th district
January 8, 2013
|Preceded by||Anthony DeLuca|
May 19, 1981 |
Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Delaware,
University of Cambridge
Townsend was born in 1981 in Wilmington, Delaware and graduated from the University of Delaware in 2003. In his first run for political office, Townsend ran a closely watched grassroots campaign and defeated Anthony J. DeLuca, a 14-year incumbent and president pro tempore of the Delaware State Senate, in a September 11, 2012 Democratic primary. Townsend defeated DeLuca by winning 57.8 percent of the vote to DeLuca's 42.2 percent. Townsend then went on to defeat Republican Evan Queitsch in the November 6, 2012 general election, winning 78.4 percent of the vote to Queitsch's 21.6 percent.
Townsend was re-elected in 2014, defeating a primary challenger with 78.4% of the vote. No Republican candidate entered the subsequent general election to challenge him.
In September 2015, in the wake of Representative John Carney's announcement that he would run for Governor of the state, Townsend announced his candidacy for Delaware's at-large seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. On September 13 2016, his candidacy ended when he placed second in a six-way Democratic primary, behind Lisa Blunt Rochester.
- "Official web site of First State Legislature". www.legis.delaware.gov. 2009-01-20. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "On the Hustings With Bryan Townsend". Delaware Liberal. 2012-07-25. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "On the Hustings With Bryan Townsend, Part II: Things I Learned.". Delaware Liberal. 2012-08-23. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "Incumbents DeLuca and Booth fall in State Senate primary races, Bennett wins primary for husband’s House seat | WDDE 91.1 FM | Delaware's NPR News station". Wdde.org. 2012-09-12. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "Deluca Concedes!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Delaware Liberal. 2012-09-11. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "The News Journal: Archives". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. 2012-09-12. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "Primary Election Results". Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "2012 Election Results". Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "Townsend elected to state Senate - The Review - The independent student newspaper of the University of Delaware since 1882". Udreview.com. 2012-11-12. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "2014 Primary Election Results". Delaware Department of Elections. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "State Sen. Bryan Townsend announces congressional bid". Delaware News Journal. 2015-09-17. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "2016 Primary Election Results". Delaware Department of Elections. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- "Blunt Rochester wins Democratic primary for Congress". Delware News Journal. 2017-09-13. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
|This article about a Delaware politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|