Bryant High School (Arkansas)
|Bryant High School|
|201 Sullivan Drive
Bryant, Arkansas, Saline 72022
|Motto||"Motivate, Educate, Challenge"|
|School district||Bryant School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Tom W. Kimbrell|
|NCES School ID||050369000118|
|Principal||Dr. Todd Edwards|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.60|
|Athletics||Tennis, Swimming, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Softball, Volleyball, Cheerleading, Dance, Wrestling, Soccer|
|Team name||Bryant Hornets|
|Rivals||Benton (Salt Bowl)
Bryant High School (BHS) is a comprehensive public high school in Bryant, Arkansas, United States. BHS serves grades 9 through 12 and is a part of the Bryant Public Schools District. With more than 2,300 students, Bryant High School is the largest of four public high schools in Saline County, Arkansas.
The assumed course of study follows the Smart Core curriculum developed by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE), which requires students to complete at least 22 units prior to graduation. Students complete regular (core and career focus) classes and exams and may select Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams that may result in college credit. Bryant High School is accredited by the ADE.
Awards and recognition
Bryant is one of twenty high schools to be recognized with the 2012 College Readiness Award by the Arkansas ACT Council in recognition of improving the participation rate of students taking the ACT college readiness exam.
The school's yearbook, The Hornet, was awarded a 2012 and 2013 Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) Gold Award, the organization's highest award. The Prospective school newspaper won a 2013 CSPA Silver Award.
There are 2,429 students and 156 teachers at this school, making the student to teacher ratio 16 to 1, slightly above the national average.
There are currently 541 students in Grade 9, 521 in Grade 10, 487 in Grade 11, and 433 in Grade 12. 988 students are male, and 994 female. The ethnic breakdown is 1815 white, 37 Asian/pacific islander, 40 Hispanic, 82 black, and 8 Native American students.
The student economic level is above average. 15% of students receive free or reduced price lunch. This school is not a title 1 school, which means the school does not receive federal assistance.
This school has been tested by the Arkansas Comprehensive Testing, Assessment and Accountability Program (ACTAAP). Grades 4, 6, 8, and 11 were tested. The scale is based on percent of students performing at or above achievement level 1
The Bryant mascot and athletic emblem is the Hornet with blue and white serving as its school colors.
The Bryant Hornets compete in the state's largest classification—7A Classification administered by the Arkansas Activities Association. For 2012–14, Bryant competes in the 7A/6A South Conference. The Hornets provide teams in football, volleyball, golf (boys/girls), cross country (boys/girls), basketball (boys/girls), competitive cheer, competitive dance, baseball, softball, soccer (boys/girls), swimming (boys/girls), tennis (boys/girls), and track and field (boys/girls).
- Cross Country: The boys cross country teams won consecutive state championships in 1991 and 1992. The girls cross country teams have won two state championships (1995, 2002).
- Basketball: The Hornets boys basketball team won its first state basketball championship in 1981. The Lady Hornets basketball teams have won four state championship titles (1982, 1988, 1989, 1991).
- Baseball: The Hornets baseball team won its first state baseball championship in 2010, with 3 more in 2012, 2014, and 2016.
- Softball: The girls softball teams have won six state championships with three consecutive state fastpitch titles in 2010, 2011 and 2012 after winning slowpitch softball titles in 1996, 1997 and 1999. Slowpitch softball is no longer competed in Arkansas since 2003.
·"Track and Field": The boys track team won their first state championship in 2015.
Clubs and traditions
Students of the 2013-2014 squad won nationals in Florida. The first national championship Bryant cheerleaders have won in the history of Bryant High School.
Students of the 2014-2015 squad won Worlds in Florida.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Bryant High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "Arkansas High Schools Receive College Readiness Award". Arkansas Department of Education. 13 November 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "CSPA presents 2012 Scholastic Awards Crown Awards". Columbia Scholastic Press Association. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "CSPA presents 77 Scholastic Gold, 95 Silver Crowns at 2013 Student Awards Convocation". Columbia Scholastic Press Association. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- http://www.localschooldirectory.com/public-school/4177/AR School Statistics
- "School Profile, Bryant High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved 19 January 2013.