||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Bryn Fôn was born in Llanllyfni, Caernarfonshire. He attended Ysgol Gynradd Llanllyfni and Ysgol Dyffryn Nantlle before going on to study physical exercise and environmental studies at college. He began his career in entertainment by taking part in the opera Dic Penderyn in 1977. He formed the musical group Crysbas after leaving college, and Sobin a'r Smaeliaid in 1988. He began releasing albums with his band under his own name in 1994. He and his band later performed under the name Bryn Fôn a'r Band, releasing music under their own label laBelaBel.
A campaign of protest linked to the Welsh language movement began in December 1979, which involved burning down holiday homes in Wales. Fôn wrote a song belittling the police's unsuccessful attempts to catch those responsible. In 1990, several detectives visited his home and he was arrested along with his partner, Anna, after they discovered a package hidden in a wall on his cottage's land. He was held at the police station in Dolgellau for 48 hours before being released without charge. His C'mon Midffild! co-cast member, Mei Jones, was arrested at the same time.
He won the song contest Cân i Gymru in 1997, with Un Funud Fach.
In January 2011, it was announced that Bryn Fôn was one of a hundred people who had refused to pay their TV licences as part of the Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg protests against plans to cut the budget of the Welsh-language TV channel, S4C, and the plans to transfer control over the channel to the BBC.
Fôn still lives in the Nantlle valley. He is married with two children.
- Sobin a'r Smaeliaid
- Ta-ta Botha, 1989, (Sain)
- Sobin a'r Smaeliaid - 1, 1990, (Sain)
- Caib, 1991, (Sain)
- A Rhaw, 1992, (Sain)
- Goreuon Sobin, (Sain)
- Bryn Fôn
- Bryn Fôn a'r Band
TV and film appearances
- C'mon Midffild! Tecwyn
- 1979 The Corn Is Green (TV movie)
- 1991 Outside Time (TV series) Manawydanin Alternative Heroes and The Making of Arthur
- 2001–2002 'Yr Heliwr/A Mind to Kill (TV series filmed in both Welsh and English) DC Meic Challis in episodes The Inner Life of Strangers (2001), Blood and Water (2002) and The Little House in the Forest (2002)
- Talcen Called
- Tipyn o Stad
- Yma i Aros
- Ista'nbwl (2010)
- Gwaith/Cartref as Mr Brynmor Davies a Temporary Teacher drafted in to teach Maths.
- 2015/6 Anita as Bedwyr, boyfriend of Anita (played by Caryl Parry Jones)