|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Known for||Ergodic theory|
|Awards||Levi L. Conant Prize (2010)|
University of Michigan
|Thesis||Commutative groups of diffeomorphisms of the circle (1995)|
|Doctoral advisor||Yitzhak Katznelson|
Bryna Rebekah Kra (born 1966) is an American mathematician who works in dynamical systems and ergodic theory, and uses dynamical methods to address problems in number theory and combinatorics. She has made contributions to the structure theory of characteristic factors for multiple ergodic averages.
She graduated with a bachelor's degree from Harvard University in 1988, and obtained her Ph.D. from Stanford University in 1995 under the guidance of Yitzhak Katznelson. She held postdoctoral positions at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, the University of Michigan, the IHES and the Ohio State University before joining the mathematics faculty at Pennsylvania State University as an assistant professor. Since 2004 Kra has been a professor of mathematics at Northwestern University, where she was department chair from 2009 to 2012.
In 2010 Kra was awarded the Levi L. Conant Prize for her expository article 'The Green–Tao theorem on arithmetic progressions in the primes: an ergodic point of view'. In 2006 she was an invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Madrid ('From combinatorics to ergodic theory and back again'), and was named an AMS Centennial Fellow the same year. In 2012 she became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society. From 2010-14 she was a member of the Executive Committee of the American Mathematical Society, in 2014 she was elected to the Executive Committee of the Association for Women in Mathematics, and in 2015 she was elected to the board of trustees of the American Mathematical Society. In 2016 she became a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Host, Bernard; Kra, Bryna (2005), "Nonconventional ergodic averages and nilmanifolds" (PDF), Annals of Mathematics, Second Series, 161 (1): 397–488, doi:10.4007/annals.2005.161.397, MR 2150389.
- Bryna Kra at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Kra, Bryna (2006), "The Green-Tao theorem on arithmetic progressions in the primes: an ergodic point of view", Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, New Series, 43 (1): 3–23, doi:10.1090/S0273-0979-05-01086-4, MR 2188173
- "2010 Conant Prize" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 57 (4): 515–516, April 2010.
- Jackson, Allyn (June–July 2006), "2006–2007 AMS Centennial Fellowships Awarded" (PDF), Mathematics People, Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 53 (6): 686.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-07-07.
- "AWM Committee Listing". Association for Women in Mathematics. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- Newly Elected Members, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, April 2016, retrieved 2016-04-20
- Irwin Kra, Math for America board, retrieved 2016-06-24.