Bubbles in My Beer
|"Bubbles in My Beer"|
|Single by Bob Wills|
|Released||December 8, 1947|
|Recorded||October 30, 1947|
|Label||MGM Records 10116|
|Songwriter(s)||T. Duncan, C. Walker, B. Wills|
"Bubbles in My Beer" is a Western swing song that was originally recorded by Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys in 1947. It later became a standard that has been performed by many country music artists. One critic of drinking songs ranks it number 20, calls it "the ultimate self-pity song," and credits it with "setting the tone for a whole genre of songs about drowning sorrows in the barroom."
The song's origins are the subject of different accounts (see Tommy Duncan for one); but there is agreement that Texas Playboys vocalist Duncan came up with the song's title and refrain, at which point songwriter Cindy Walker became involved. Walker has been quoted as saying: "If you can get a real good title, you’ve got something. I always write from the title. I’ve never written a song without the title."
|U.S. Billboard Most-Played Juke Box Folk Records||4|
"Bubbles in My Beer" has appeared on albums by Bob Wills and several other notable country artists. The following list excludes compilations:
- Hank Thompson, Dance Ranch (1958)
- Bob Wills, Mr. Words & Mr. Music (1961)
- Ray Price, San Antonio Rose (1962)
- George Jones, George Jones Sings Bob Wills (1962)
- Charlie Walker, Born to Lose (1966)
- Ernest Tubb, Baby It's So Hard to Be Good (1972)
- Willie Nelson, Shotgun Willie (1973)
- Bob Wills, For the Last Time (1974)
- Johnny Gimble, Texas Honky-Tonk Hits (1988)
- Jon Langford and the Pine Valley Cosmonauts, Salute the Majesty of Bob Wills (1998)
- Willie Nelson, You Don't Know Me: The Songs of Cindy Walker (2006)
- Praguefrank's Country Music Discographies: Bob Wills - part II
- M-G-M 10000 - 10500 numerical listing Archived February 3, 2012, at the Wayback Machine, 10116.
- Rich Stewart, "Rhythm and Booze," Modern Drunkard Magazine Archived December 22, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Country Music Treasures: The Story Behind The Song Archived December 8, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- Bill DeMain, "Cindy Walker", Performing Songwriter, Issue 92 (March/April 2006).
- Billboard magazine, May 1, 1948, p. 30.
- Allmusic Ray Pennington Chart with music sample
- Allmusic Dance Ranch/Songs for Rounders Hank Thompson Review with music sample
- Allmusic Mr. Words & Mr. Music Bob Wills
- Allmusic San Antonio Rose Ray Price Review with music sample
- Allmusic George Jones Sings Bob Wills Review with music sample
- Allmusic "Bubbles in My Beer" Charlie Walker with music sample
- Allmusic "Bubbles in My Beer" Ernest Tubb with music sample
- Allmusic Shotgun Willie Willie Nelson Review with chart and music sample
- Allmusic For the Last Time Bob Wills Review with chart and music sample
- Allmusic Texas Honky-Tonk Hits Johnny Gimble Review
- Allmusic Salute the Majesty of Bob Wills Pine Valley Cosmonauts Review with music sample
- Allmusic You Don't Know Me: The songs of Cindy Walker Willie Nelson Review with chart and music sample