Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back
|Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back|
|Developer(s)||Black Forest Games|
Fabian Del Priore
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4|
Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back is a platform video game developed by Black Forest Games. The game was released for Microsoft Windows and PlayStation 4 on October 31, 2017. The game is the fifth entry in the Bubsy series, and the first new entry in 21 years.
The game returns to the 2D side-scrolling platformer gameplay found in the first Bubsy games, Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind, Bubsy 2 and Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales, albeit now with 3D character models, a first for the side-scrolling entries in the series.
The game sees Bubsy going against the "Woolies", the antagonistic race of creatures from the first Bubsy game.
The game was first announced on June 8, 2017, as a brand new game in the Bubsy series of video games. The entry is the first one in the series in 21 years, following 1996's Bubsy 3D. The game was announced as the first of many game franchise revivals of Accolade games (which, along with Bubsy, is a brand name now operated by Hong Kong company Billionsoft), including potential revivals of HardBall!, Slave Zero, Deadlock: Planetary Conquest, Eradicator, and Redline. The game was published by Tommo's subsidiary UFO Interactive Games, and developed by Black Forest Games, who previously worked on reviving the dormant Giana Sisters series with Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams. Like Twisted Dreams, the game was developed using the Havok physics engine.
In August 2017, a limited edition, called the Purrfect Edition, was announced for the PlayStation 4 release, which contains a physical copy of the game, a soundtrack CD, a copy of Bubsy's official "business card", and a "Mystery Bubsy Movie Poster postcard".
The game announcement was generally not well received by video game journalists, whose reactions ranged from indifference to irritation. Accolade seemed to expect this, taking an approach similar to Sega with promoting Sonic the Hedgehog on social media; a dedicated Twitter account for the character that makes self-deprecating and aware comments about the franchise's negative reception of some past titles was created.
The game was met with a negative reception, with review aggregator Metacritic giving the PC version a weighted average score of 44 out of a possible 100 and the PS4 version a score of 45 out of 100, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Brian Shea of Game Informer panned the game, calling it "an unnecessary resuscitation". Patrick Hancock of Destructoid questioned why the character of Bubsy was brought back and made note of its release in the same year as other more well received platformers. Heidi Kemps of IGN dismissed the game as "an extremely short and completely forgettable platformer based on nothing but irony and nostalgic notoriety". Christian Donlan of Eurogamer wrote "Bubsy's return is more than a little underwhelming". Conversely, Hardcore Gamer gave the game 3.5 out of 5.
- "Accolade returns with new Bubsy game". MCV. NewBay Media. 9 June 2017. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Accolade brand returns with a new Bubsy game".
- O'Connor, Alice (9 June 2017). "What could possibly go wrong? New Bubsy announced".
- "Bubsy is returning from mascot platformer hell to torment us all". 8 June 2017.
- "Nostalgia mining reaches perilous low with the return of Bubsy The Cat". 8 June 2017.
- "Accolade returns, announces Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back for PS4, PC - Gematsu". 8 June 2017.
- Matulef, Jeffrey (8 June 2017). "Bubsy returns in his first game in 21 years".
- "Bubsy Makes His Return To Videogames For The First Time In 21 Years". 9 June 2017.
- "Billionsoft". Billionsoft.
- Campbell, Evan (8 June 2017). "Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back Announced".
- "Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back Announced". 9 June 2017.
- "Bubsy announces October 31st release date for regular and limited edition version". Official Accolade Game website. 22 August 2017.
- "Bubsy's back, and even Sonic is being mean about it".
- McWhertor, Michael (8 June 2017). "Bubsy ... they're making another one of those". Polygon.
- Metro.co.uk, GameCentral for (9 June 2017). "Bubsy The Bobcat is back, but not even Sonic The Hedgehog knows why".
- "Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back - PC".
- "Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back - PS4".
- Shea, Brian (1 November 2017). "Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back". gameinformer.com. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- Hancock, Patrick (2 November 2017). "Review: Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back". destructoid.com. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- Kemps, Heidi (3 November 2017). "BUBSY: THE WOOLIES STRIKE BACK REVIEW". IGN. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- Donlan, Christian (3 November 2017). "Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back review". Eurogamer. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "Review: Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back - Hardcore Gamer". www.hardcoregamer.com.
- Giant Bomb staff (29 December 2017). "Game of the Year 2017 Day Five: Best, Worst, Cast, and Capture". Giant Bomb. Retrieved 29 December 2017.