|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Country of origin||Scotland|
|Variants||De Luxe 12, Special Reserve 18, Red Seal, Master.|
|Related products||Ballantine's, Chivas Regal, Cutty Sark, Dewar's, Johnnie Walker, Vat 69|
James Buchanan, born in Canada but son of Scottish immigrants, returned to the United Kingdom shortly after he was born and he was brought up in Larne. He joined a Glasgow shipping firm as an office boy when he was fourteen or fifteen, and was later promoted to be a clerk. In 1868 he joined his brother in the grain business until 1879, when he moved to London as an agent for a company in the whisky trade. He realized that there was an untapped market in England for bottled Scotch whisky and set about producing his own, the Buchanan Blend. He went into business on his own in 1884 as James Buchanan & Co.
- Black & White (Originally "Buchanaso's Blend", then "House of Commons") 8
- De Luxe 12
- Special Reserve 18
- Red Seal
Buchanan's offerings have generally performed very well at international Spirit ratings organizations. The De Luxe 12-year, for example, earned a string of 3 gold medals and 2 double-golds from the San Francisco World Spirits Competition between 2005 and 2010. The 18-year was awarded three golds, a silver, and a double gold medal over that same time frame. In 2011, the Beverage Testing Institute gave the Red Seal a relatively strong score of 92 out of 100.
Buchanan's Forever, is a musical experience which honours the legacy of Buchanan's founder, by way of an ongoing community enrichment program which forms part of Diageo's regional social responsibility platform, Learning for Life. Buchanan's Forever has been held in Mexico , Colombia and Venezuela and in each country will support a charitable project that will help each of these communities.
- Buchanan's Forever – James Buchanan (1849–1935)
- Sting.com - Buchanan's Forever to 'Present' an unprecedented musical experience with Sting in May 2010 - Proceeds to Benefit the Diageo 'Learning for Life' program that provides education and life skills to thousands of individuals throughout Latin America... Archived May 14, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Proof66.com's Summary Page Buchanan's for 12-year". Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- "Proof66.com's Summary Page for Buchanan's 18-year". Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- "Proof66.com's Summary Page for Buchanan's Red Seal". Retrieved 2012-10-17.