Buchanan Rides Alone
|Buchanan Rides Alone|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Budd Boetticher|
|Produced by||Harry Joe Brown|
|Screenplay by||Charles Lang|
|Based on||The Name's Buchanan
by Jonas Ward
|Edited by||Al Clark|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
Buchanan Rides Alone is a 1958 American Western film directed by Budd Boetticher and starring Randolph Scott, Craig Stevens, and Barry Kelley. Based on the 1956 novel The Name's Buchanan by Jonas Ward, the film is about a Texan returning home with enough money to start his own ranch. When he stops in the crooked town of Agry, he is robbed and framed for murder.
On his way home from Mexico to West Texas, Tom Buchanan (Randolph Scott) rides into the Californian border town of Agry, and into a feud between several members of the Agry family. In helping out a Mexican seeking revenge on one of them, Buchanan finds himself against the whole family.
- Randolph Scott as Tom Buchanan
- Craig Stevens as Abe Carbo
- Barry Kelley as Lew Agry
- Tol Avery as Judge Simon Agry
- Peter Whitney as Amos Agry
- Manuel Rojas as Juan de la Vega
- L. Q. Jones as Pecos Hill
- Robert Anderson as Waldo Peck
- Joe De Santis as Esteban Gomez
- William Leslie as Roy Agry
- Jennifer Holden as K. T.
- Nacho Galindo as Nacho
Although the screenplay is credited to Charles Lang, his script was deemed unsuitable, so Boetticher asked his regular writer, Burt Kennedy, to rewrite the script. Because Lang's wife was gravely ill and he needed the money, Kennedy generously allowed him to take the salary and screen credit. In a 2001 interview at the Cinecon Film Festival, Boetticher confirmed that the script was Kennedy's work, noting that such lines as "This sure is a $10 town." and "Don't just stand there, Amos, get a shovel!" could only have been written by him.
A number of music score stock cues used in the production are the same as those used in the 1958-1961 TV series Sea Hunt, with stock music credits to Mischa Bakaleinikoff, George Duning, Heinz Roemheld, and Paul Sawtell.
In 2008 a DVD box set of five Budd Boetticher films starring Randolph Scott was released. Along with Buchanan Rides Alone the set includes Comanche Station, Decision at Sundown, Ride Lonesome, and The Tall T.
- Nott, Robert. Last Of The Cowboy Heroes: The Westerns Of Randolph Scott, Joel Mccrea, And Audie Murphy. McFarland, 2005, p.128.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Buchanan Rides Alone.|
- Buchanan Rides Alone at the Internet Movie Database
- Buchanan Rides Alone at AllMovie
- Buchanan Rides Alone at the TCM Movie Database
- Buchanan Rides Alone at the American Film Institute Catalog
|This 1950s Western film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|