Bucharest metropolitan area
|Bucharest Metropolitan Area|
|County||Ilfov, Călărași, Ialomiţa, Dâmboviţa, Giurgiu|
|Component localities||40 (first stage)
62 (intermediate stage)
|• Total||1,811 km2 (699 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 census)|
|• Total||2,272,163 (first stage)|
|• Density||1,254/km2 (3,250/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Postal Code||0 S NNNN1|
|Area code(s)||+40 x12|
|Website||BMA official site|
|1S is the number of the Sector, and NNNN is used to differentiate between streets and/or subzones.
2x is a digit indicating the operator: 2 for the former national operator, Romtelecom, and 3 for the other ground telephone networks.
The Bucharest Metropolitan Area (Romanian: Zona Metropolitana București) is a proposed metropolitan area project that includes Bucharest and surrounding communes. If completed, it would have a population of about 2.3 million, only slightly larger than that of the city proper (1.9 million). It would also be a member of the METREX network.
The "Metropolitan Area" project has been initiated in 2003. A survey in 2008 showed that about 70% of the population of the area favors the project. The city proper has now 228 km2, but the metropolitan zone would reach 1,800 km2 in a first phase. A possible name for it will probably be "Greater Bucharest".
In an initial stage, the zone would include Bucharest and Ilfov County. Then, there are several plans to further increase the "Metropolitan Area of Bucharest" to about 20 times the area of the city proper (from 228 km² to 5,046 km²). It would include 6 cities and 87 communes from the Ilfov, Giurgiu and Călăraşi counties, and would extend all the way towards the border with Bulgaria in the south, and towards the Prahova County in the north. In an intermediate stage, the extension of the zone would include 62 out of the proposed 93 candidate localities. In spite of this expansion, the ethnographic area of Vlașca will be protected. The "Bucharest Metropolitan Area" may become the biggest port on the Danube upon completion of the Danube-Bucharest Canal.
The enlarged "Metropolitan Area" Council will have 105 councilors, twice as many are now, and the Government will appoint a governor, a position which would be homologized to the prefect of Bucharest.
|Hierarchy of planning bodies||Major localities||Area
|Bucharest||228 km²||1,883,425||228 km²||1,883,425|
|Ilfov County (all localities)||1,285 km²||388,738||1,285 km²||388,738|
|↓||Voluntari||37 km²||42,944||37 km²||42,944|
|Pantelimon||69 km²||25,596||69 km²||25,596|
|Buftea||55 km²||22,178||55 km²||22,178|
|Popești-Leordeni||56 km²||21,895||56 km²||21,895|
|Bragadiru||22 km²||15,329||22 km²||15,329|
|Chitila||13 km²||14,184||13 km²||14,184|
|Otopeni||32 km²||13,861||32 km²||13,861|
|Măgurele||45 km²||11,041||45 km²||11,041|
|Giurgiu County (11 localities)||656 km²||65,825|
|Călărași County (5 localities)||295 km²||23,492|
|Dâmbovița County (3 localities)||206 km²||16,059|
|Ialomița County (2 localities)||56 km²||4,054|
|BMA||1,811 km²||2,272,163||2,726 km²||2,381,593|
- "Map of the BMA". 13 June 2011. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- "BMA will be extended to the Danube". 13 June 2011.
- "BMA ready in 10 years". 7 May 2007.
- "Population at 20 October 2011" (in Romanian). INSSE. 5 July 2013. Retrieved 9 July 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "ZONA METROPOLITANĂ BUCUREŞTI ÎN CIFRE Capitala ar câştiga peste 430.000 de locuitori". adevarul.ro. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "Population by age groups and sex - larger urban zone". Eurostat. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Urban Audit". Urban Audit. Archived from the original on 2013-05-31. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- "Adevarul: The BMZ in numbers". Retrieved 2011-09-29.
- "METREX - The Network of European Metropolitan Regions and Areas". Eurometrex.org. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110519043421/http://www.clubafaceri.ro/info_stiri/2008/01/07/15601/Bucuresti+2009,+orasul+interzis.html. Archived from the original on May 19, 2011. Retrieved June 6, 2008. Missing or empty
-  Archived August 17, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Zona Metropolitana Bucuresti ar urma sa se intinda pana la Dunare" (Romanian)
- (Romanian) "Metropolitan Zone of Bucharest will be ready in 10 years"
- (Romanian) "Official site of Metropolitan Zone of Bucharest Project"
- The Bucharest Metropolitan Area (PDF)