|Occupation||Adult film producer, actor|
Buck Angel is an American trans man, adult film producer and performer, and LGBT icon. He is the founder of Buck Angel Entertainment, a media production company. He received the 2007 AVN Award as Transsexual Performer of the Year, and works as an advocate, educator, lecturer, and writer. Angel serves on the Board of Directors of the Woodhull Sexual Freedom Alliance.
Angel was born in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, California, assigned female, and named Susan. Growing up as a tomboy, his gender-atypical behavior during childhood was generally accepted at home, but once his secondary sex characteristics began to develop at around age 16, his home life became increasingly tense.
After a suicidal gesture in high school, his parents sent him to therapy, where he first stated that he felt like a man. This was not well received by his family, and according to Angel, "They were going to put me in a mental institution." Unaware of the existence of treatments for gender dysphoria such as hormone replacement therapy, he lived for years as female, during which time he took drugs and drank alcohol. Though he was profitably employed as a female professional model, he was generally dissatisfied with his identity and existence, and "was not loving life".
Adult film career
Angel began to produce and star in his own line of adult films under the imprint Buck Angel Entertainment. By this time he identified and presented as male, but had not had any genital surgery and still possessed a vulva, so he promoted these works describing himself as "The Man With a Pussy".
In 2005, he appeared in the Titan Media release Cirque Noir, becoming the first trans man to be featured in an all-male film produced by a company specializing in gay male porn. The same year he performed in Allanah Starr's Big Boob Adventures (directed by transsexual Gia Darling), which featured the first filmed sex scene between a trans woman (Allanah Starr) and a trans man. The performance was nominated for the AVN Awards' "Most Outrageous Sex Scene". His 2008 performance in Buckback Mountain received nominations for "Best Alternative Release" and "Best Specialty Release" at the GayVN Awards.
Angel appeared in Naked, a 2008 documentary book and film about the adult film industry, by director Ed Powers. In the film he appears in a sex scene with porn star Wolf Hudson, produced by mainstream photographer Justin Lubin.
In 2010–12 he created an award winning series about trans male sexuality called "Sexing The Transman XXX".
Angel has appeared on various talk shows including those of Howard Stern, Tyra Banks, and Maury Povich; as well as Secret Lives of Women in the US, the Morning Show in the UK, and the Jensen Show in the Netherlands. He has spoken at Sex Week at Yale University and at IdeaCity10 in Toronto.
Angel and Jody Rose founded Transgasm, a web-based program launched in 2013 which would help trans people raise the funds for sexual reassignment surgery; it was shut down amid accusations that it amounted to a pyramid scheme.
Angel created Trantastic Storytelling in 2015, a service which offers opportunities for transgender people to share their life experiences for educational purposes.
Awards and nominations
- In January 2007, he won Transsexual Performer of the Year at the AVN Awards.
- In 2008, 2009, and 2010, he was nominated for Transsexual Performer of the Year. He remains the only FTM transsexual ever to have been nominated for or to win this award.
- In April 2008, he was presented with a "Feminist Porn Award" for "Boundary Breaker of the Year."
- In 2012, he won the Feminist Porn Award for his groundbreaking film Sexing The Transman XXX.
- In 2012, he won Best FTM Performer of the Year at the Tranny Awards. This is the first year this award was given.
Angel was married to body piercer Elayne Angel. They met on a dating website. When Angel filed for divorce, Elayne Angel claimed that their marriage should not have been legally recognized because Buck's birth certificate was not updated to male until after they were married. However, in August 2014, the California Superior Court ruled that their marriage was valid.
- 2004: "Buck's Beaver"
- 2005: "The Adventures of Buck Naked"
- 2005: "Cirque Noir"
- 2005: "Allanah Starr's Big Boob Adventures"
- 2006: "Buck Off"
- 2006: "V for Vagina"
- 2006: "The Buck Stops Here"
- 2007: "Even More Bang for Your Buck Vol.1"
- 2008: "Even More Bang for your Buck Vol.2"
- 2008: "Buckback Mountain"
- 2009: "Ultimate Fucking Club Vol. 1"
- 2009: "Ultimate Fucking Club Vol.2"
- 2010–12: "Sexing The Transman XXX Series"
- 2008: "NAKED"
- 2012: "Sexing the Transman"
- 2013: "Mr. Angel"
- Visco, Gerry (March 29, 2006). "Porn star Buck Angel is a woman or a man or a transexual". New York Press. Archived from the original on November 11, 2011. Retrieved November 7, 2011.[dead link]
- "Eros.Com: Eros Guide Escort directory with escort photo listings and contacts for Eros female escorts, massage, bdsm, fetish, transsexuals, shemales and more". Eros-zine.com. October 20, 2011. Retrieved November 7, 2011.[dead link]
- "Porn Star XXXposure – Buck Angel". Good Vibrations Magazine. May 23, 2007. Archived from the original on November 15, 2011. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- Trifle, Cherry (November 16, 2010). "More Bang For Your Buck: It Gets Better « Acceptance « Society". Edenfantasys.com. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- Matthew, Kirsten (2011). "Buck Wild". Dirty. No. 3 (3). Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- "Buck Angel talks about life as a transsexual porn star". SBS Two. 10 February 2014. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- Nichols, Jerome Stuart. "An Interview with Buck Angel – Let's Talk About Sex #2". LTASEX. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- Angel, Buck. "About Buck Angel". Archived from the original on March 24, 2010. Retrieved July 7, 2008.
- "Susie Bright's Journal : Buck Angel and the 100% Man Clit". Susiebright.blogs.com. September 11, 2006. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
-  Banana Guide[dead link]
- Taormino, Tristan (August 30, 2005). "Havin' Buck for Breakfast". The Village Voice. Retrieved June 10, 2006.
- Edward Mostyn (November 8, 2009). "Marc Quinn article". The Guardian (London). Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Photo from Getty Images". Daylife. Archived from the original on November 30, 2010. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- Buck Angel, Ed Powers directed documentary "NAKED". Retrieved October 28, 2008.
- "Sexing The Transman XXX". Sexingthetransman.com. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Transgender porn star shares story". Yale Daily News. February 15, 2010. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Buck Angel ideaCity10". YouTube. July 26, 2010. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- "Buck Angel Launches Dating Site For Transgender Men". On Top Magazine. September 1, 2012. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "Buck Angel: Dating Technology for the FTM". The Huffington Post. August 31, 2012. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site". The Advocate.
- "AVN Awards Past Winners". Retrieved July 7, 2008.
- "FPA 2008". Good For Her. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- Can Larry Wachowski really have changed sex between pictures? Damon Wise investigates The Guardian. May 3, 2008.
- El Misterio de Larry Wachowski RollingStone Argentina. January 3, 2006.
- Elliott, Stephen (January 13, 2006). "Rolling Stone Slanders The Transgender S&M Community". Huffington Post.
- "Elayne Angel". Skin Deep 152. October 1, 2007. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- Buck Angel, I met my amazing wife Elayne Angel on a site 10 2013.
- Two Trans Men Come Away With Major Court Victories The Advocate. August 14, 2014. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- Buck Angel Website
- Buck Angel Entertainment
- Buck Angel Facebook
- Buck Angel's Twitter
- Buck Angel's YouTube
- Interview with Buck Angel on The Feed Australia
- Interview with Buck Angel on Joe Rogan
- Interview with Buck Angel on AOL TrueTrans
- Interview with Buck Angel on Edenfantasys
- Interview with Buck Angel by Gerry Visco for New York Press
- Buck Angel Interview in GV Weekly
- Interview video with pictures as a woman
- Interview on The Fetish Show
- Interview on LGN Show[dead link] (Spanish/English)