Buck Township, Hardin County, Ohio
|Buck Township, Hardin County, Ohio|
Buck Township includes wide farmlands.
Location of Buck Township (red), next to the city of Kenton (yellow)
|• Total||30.7 sq mi (79.4 km2)|
|• Land||30.5 sq mi (79.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||981 ft (299 m)|
|• Density||80/sq mi (31.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086257|
Buck Township is one of the fifteen townships of Hardin County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2010 census the population was 2,449, of whom 1,070 lived in the unincorporated portion of the township.
Located in the southern center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Pleasant Township - north
- Dudley Township - east
- Hale Township - southeast
- Taylor Creek Township - southwest
- Lynn Township - west
- Cessna Township - northwest
Name and history
Buck Township most likely was organized in 1845. This township derives its name from Harvey Buckminster, a pioneer settler. It is the only Buck Township statewide, although there is a Bucks Township in Tuscarawas County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Buck township, Hardin County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved December 28, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Remainder of Buck township, Buck township, Hardin County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- Kohler, Minnie Ichler (1910). A Twentieth Century History of Hardin County, Ohio: A Narrative Account of Its Historical Progress, Its People and Principal Interests,. Lewis Publishing Company. p. 27.
- Kohler, Minnie Ichler (1910). A Twentieth Century History of Hardin County, Ohio: A Narrative Account of Its Historical Progress, Its People and Principal Interests,. Lewis Publishing Company. p. 28.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.