Buckets of Rain
|"Buckets of Rain"|
|Song by Bob Dylan from the album Blood on the Tracks|
|Recorded||September 19, 1974 at A&R Recording in New York City|
|Blood on the Tracks track listing|
In the officially released studio recording, "Buckets of Rain" is played in the key of E major. There are only two instruments: acoustic guitar and bass guitar. The guitar is not in standard tuning; rather, it is in "Open E" tuning.
Lyrically, "Buckets of Rain" is relatively simple, with five short verses addressing a lover. Oliver Trager describes the song thus:
- Closing an otherwise desperate album with a light reappraisal of commitment, "Buckets of Rain" is a final, Sinatra-like tip of the hat sung with the playfulness of an old Piedmont songster. Though Dylan seems to liken the relationship he describes here with the ferocity of a deluge, he plaintively sings to his love, describing in light, sensual brushstrokes why he still finds her special. (88)
Lyrics are bright yet heartbroken:
Like your smile and your fingertips
Like the way that you move your hips.
I like the cool way you look at me.
Everything about you is bringing me misery.
"Buckets of Rain" has been covered by many musicians, including:
- Bette Midler: Songs for the New Depression (1976), in a duet with Bob Dylan.
- Happy Traum: American Stranger (1978), Bucket of Songs (1983)
- Wendy Bucklew: The Times They Are A-Changin' (1992), After You (2002)
- Jimmy LaFave: Road Novel (1998)
- Steve Howe: Portraits of Bob Dylan (1999)
- Mary Lee's Corvette: Blood on the Tracks (2002)
- various artists (performed by Bette Midler): Doin' Dylan 2 (2002)
- various artists (performed by Wendy Bucklew): May Your Song Always Be Sung: The Songs of Bob Dylan, Volume 3 (2003)
- Neko Case: Live from Austin, TX (Neko Case album) (2003)
- Beth Orton and M. Ward: "Confidentially Speaking" live recording @ "Largo" Los Angeles, CA; September 30, 2003.
- Dave Van Ronk: Dave Van Ronk: ...And the Tin Pan Bended and the Story Ended... (2004)
- Redbird: Redbird (2005)
- various artists (performed by Neko Case): Sweetheart 2005: Love Songs (2005)
- Chris Martin at the Union Chapel, London, November 27, 2006. (Martin then dedicated it to Lily Allen.)
- Eric Bibb: Diamond Days (2006)
- John Renbourn: So Early in the Spring (2006)
- Sarah Softich: Duluth Does Dylan Revisited (2006)
- Martin Simpson at the Union Chapel, London, November 13, 2007.
- The Wood Brothers: Loaded (2008)
- Danny Schmidt: Man of Many Moons (2011)
- David Gray: During many live concerts.
- Fistful Of Mercy on the compilation "Chimes of Freedom: Songs of Bob Dylan Honoring 50 Years of Amnesty International" (2012)
- Tim Armstrong, as a part of his Tim Timebomb and Friends project (2012)
- Bob Dylan's official page. Retrieved 15 March 2006.
- Cowe, Matt and Dick, Arthur. Acoustic Masters for Guitar. Wise Publications, 2004.
- Trager, Oliver. Keys to the Rain: The Definitive Bob Dylan Encyclopedia. Billboard Books, 2004.