Buckle (clothing retailer)
|Traded as||NYSE: BKE
S&P 600 Component
|Headquarters||Kearney, Nebraska, U.S.|
Number of locations
|Daniel Hirschfeld, Chairman
Dennis Nelson, CEO
|Products||Clothing, footwear, and accessories|
|Revenue||US$1.15 Billion (2014)|
|US$336 Million (2014)|
|US$163 Million (2014)|
|Total assets||US$543 Million (2014)|
|Total equity||US$355 Million (2014)|
Number of employees
The Buckle, Inc. is an United States fashion retailer selling clothing, footwear, and accessories for young men and women. The company operates 465 stores in 44 U.S. states, under the names Buckle and The Buckle. Buckle markets brand names and private label apparel, including denims, other casual bottoms, tops and shirts, active wear, outerwear, accessories and footwear.
Buckle began as a men's clothing store established in 1948 in Kearney, Nebraska. The first store was founded by David Hirschfeld and operated under the name Mills Clothing. His son, Dan Hirschfeld, took over the business in 1965. In 1967, a second store was purchased and operated under the name Brass Buckle. The company began selling more casual men's clothing and by the early 1970s, Brass Buckle had developed into a denim-based store offering a wide selection of denim and shirts.
1970 - Current President and CEO, Dennis Nelson, joins the company.
1977 - The Company introduces women's clothing and the first mall-based location is opened.
1988 - Distribution operations relocate to a new home, the Brass Buckle Center, in west Kearney.
1991 - Brass Buckle changes its name to The Buckle, Inc. and begins development of private clothing label, bkle, known today as BKE.
1992 - The Company goes public on the NASDAQ where it's traded as BKLE. The company reaches operations of 100 stores in 18 states.
1997 - The Buckle moves to the New York Stock Exchange where it now trades under the symbol, BKE.
1998 - The Buckle reaches operations of 200 stores in 29 states.
1999 - The first eCommerce website is launched.
2009 - The Buckle reaches operation of 400 stores in 41 states.
2010 - The company completes construction of a new 240,000 square feet, state-of-the-art distribution center.
2011 - The company reaches a milestone of selling five million pairs of jeans in one year.
2017 - The Buckle operates over 450 stores in 44 states.
- Dan Hirschfeld leads the Company as Chairman of the Board, he has been with the Company since 1965.
- Dennis Nelson, President and Chief Executive Officer, has been with the Company since 1970.
- Karen Rhoads, Senior Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer, has been with the Company since 1987.
- Brett Milkie, Senior Vice President of Leasing, has been with the Company since 1992.
- Kari Smith, Executive Vice President of Stores, has been with the Company since 1978.
- Patricia (Pat) Whisler, Senior Vice President of Women's Merchandising, has been with the Company since 1976.
- Robert Carlberg, Senior Vice President of Men's Merchandising, has been with the Company since 1983.
- Kyle Hanson, Vice President Corporate Secretary and General Counsel, has been with the Company since 1998.
- Thomas Heacock, Vice President of Finance, Treasurer and Corporate Controller, has been with the Company since 2003.
- Michelle Hoffman, Vice President of Sales, has been with the Company since 1979.
- Kelli Molczyk, Vice President of Women's Merchandising, has been with the Company since 1999.
- Diane Applegate, Vice President of Supply Chain and Merchandising Operations, has been with the Company since 1983.
Buckle markets denims, casual bottoms, fashion tops, active wear, outerwear, accessories, and footwear. Partner brands include: Affliction, American Fighter, Bed Stu, Big Star, Billabong, Buffalo, Calvin Klein, Corral, Etnies, Flying Monkey, Fossil, Fox, Free People, Freebird, Guess, Hurley, Kancan, Levi's, Lucky Brand, MEK, Miss Me, Naughty Monkey, Nixon, Not Rated, Oakley, Ray-Ban, Reef, Rock Revival, RVCA, Silver Jeans, Stance, Steve Madden, Timberland, TOMS, UGG, Under Armour, 7Diamonds and many more. Buckle's own private label brands make up 35% of sales. These include BKE, Buckle Black, Gimmicks, BKE Boutique, Daytrip, and Reclaim.
- "Income statements recent and historical for Buckle Inc (BKE)". Wikinvest. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- Staff, Hub (May 23, 2015). "Buckle Inc.". Kearney Hub. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "The Buckle Inc.". New York Times. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Our Story". Buckle Corporate. The Buckle Inc. Retrieved 29 April 2015.