Buckley railway station
|Managed by||Arriva Trains Wales|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Quay Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Central Railway|
|31 March 1890||Opened as Buckley Junction|
|6 May 1974||Renamed|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Buckley from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
The first railway in the area was the Buckley Railway, a short (5 mile/8 km long) freight branch linking the town with the River Dee at Connah's Quay. The Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Quay Railway arrived in 1866 from a terminus at Wrexham Exchange alongside the GWR's Wrexham General station and was linked into the Buckley Railway from the outset, eventually taking it over in 1873. Passenger services from the south began soon afterwards, but not to the current station - this dates from 1890, when the "Hawarden Loop" line northwards to Shotton was opened. Further construction by the Great Central Railway added links to Chester and to Bidston (the current route north) by 1896. The original Buckley Railway line down to the docks at Connah's Quay remained freight-only throughout its life, finally closing in 1965. This left the current line at the station and ran via the original Buckley (Old) station (closed in 1890, but briefly reopened between 1893–95). Few traces of this route now remain.
The station is served by an hourly service Monday - Saturday (two-hourly in the evenings & bank holidays) southbound to Wrexham Central and northbound to Bidston for connections to Liverpool via the Wirral Line. Connections to Shrewsbury, Cardiff and Birmingham (and beyond) are available at Wrexham General and for the North Wales Coast line at Shotton. On Sundays, there are six trains in each direction (approximately one every 2.5 hours).
- Butt 1995, p. 47.
- Slater, J.N., ed. (July 1974). "Notes and News: Stations renamed by LMR". Railway Magazine. London: IPC Transport Press Ltd. 120 (879): 363. ISSN 0033-8923.
- Disused Stations - The Buckley Railway www.disused-stations.org.uk; Retrieved 2013-08-05
- GB Rail Timetable 15 May - 11 December 2016, Table 101
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2013). Wrexham to New Brighton. West Sussex: Middleton Press. figs. 38-39, 42. ISBN 9781908174475. OCLC 859543196.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Buckley railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Penyffordd||Arriva Trains Wales
|Hope Exchange||Great Central Railway
Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Quay Railway