St John the Baptist church
|Buckminster shown within Leicestershire|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Buckminster is a village and civil parish within the Melton district of Leicestershire, England. The population (including Sewstern) of the civil parish was 356 at the 2011 census. It is on the B676 road, between Melton Mowbray and the A1.
The parish is located in the north-east of the county, on the border with Lincolnshire, and also includes the hamlet of Sewstern. Nearby places are Coston, Wymondham and Sproxton in Leicestershire, and Stainby over the border in Lincolnshire. Quite close by is the Viking Way, which follows the boundary with Lincolnshire.
Many properties in the local area and Grantham are owned by Buckminster Estates, who are linked with the Tollemache family who live in Buckminster Park: the former home of the Earl of Dysart. They have connections with Helmingham Hall in Suffolk. The village pub is called the Tollemache Arms.
The parish church of St John the Baptist was built during the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries and was restored and improved in 1883. It is a Grade I listed building.
Buckminster Gliding Club based at nearby Saltby Airfield is named after the village. Buckminster United Football club is an amateur football club based in the village. Buckminster has its own shop.
- "Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST List entry Number: 1061281". English Heritage. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Name: DYSART MAUSOLEUM AND RAILING List entry Number: 1360830". English Heritage. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- Buchan, James (1983) Thatched Village. London: Hodder & Stoughton (Buchan was also the author of The Expendable Mary Slessor; he uses the name "Overton" for the village)
- Buckminster Gliding Club
- Primary School
- St John the Baptist church[permanent dead link]
- Buckminster Park One Day Event[permanent dead link]
- Parish Council
- Leicestershire villages
- Buckminster village views video retrieved 18 Dec 2010
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Buckminster.|
|This Leicestershire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|