Buckshaw Parkway railway station
Buckshaw Parkway railway station in October 2011
|Place||Buckshaw Village, Euxton|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Network Rail|
|3 October 2011||Station opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Buckshaw Parkway from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Buckshaw Parkway is a British railway station which opened on 3 October 2011 on the Manchester to Preston Line, near Euxton Junction with the West Coast Main Line. It is one of Euxton's two railway stations being in Buckshaw Village, formerly the Royal Ordnance Factory (ROF Chorley) between Chorley and Leyland. It is on the site of the four-platform Chorley ROF Halt, which was closed around 1942; this prior station remained virtually intact until the 1970s, but was finally cleared in the early 2000s.
The station gained planning permission in 1999. It was put on hold due to a funding shortfall, but it was announced in 2009 that £3.3 million had been allocated by Lancashire County Council from the Community Investment Fund. Construction was expected to begin in early 2010 and be completed in the same year, but a further funding shortfall resulted in the designs for the ticket office being scaled down. Contractors started work in October 2010 and the station was completed by autumn 2011. The cost of the station now stands at £6.8 million. The station opened on 3 October 2011.
The first train arrived on time with journalists from a local paper, The Chorley Guardian, seeking interviews with waiting passengers. IT Worker Alex Howarth was the first passenger from the station, whilst a Mr Brown was the first person to buy a ticket from the station.
The station is served by an hourly service on the Blackpool North to Manchester Victoria service route and also one train hourly from Preston to Hazel Grove (via Manchester Piccadilly) from 3 October 2011. From 5 October 2015, the latter service was extended to Blackpool North.
On 17 October 2011, First TransPennine Express services from Manchester Airport to Blackpool North started calling at the station. From the December 2013 timetable change, Windermere and Barrow-in-Furness services now call at Buckshaw when they are attached to the rear of Blackpool North services. First TransPennine Express used to run the service from Manchester Airport to Blackpool North but this was passed on to the new Northern franchise on 1 April 2016.
- Buckshaw Parkway Train Station, Buckshaw Village Community Association.
- "Buckshaw railway station to be built next year". The Citizen. Chorley. 7 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- Greaves, Andrew (17 August 2008). "Buckshaw Village station set to get green light". Lancashire Telegraph. Blackburn. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- "Buckshaw Station Back On Track". Chorley Council. November 2008. Archived from the original on 8 June 2011. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- Gee, Chris (4 August 2009). "Buckshaw set for railway station after funding boost". Lancashire Telegraph. Blackburn. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- Banks, Natalie (19 July 2010). "Buckshaw Village railway station delayed AGAIN". Chorley Guardian. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "Work set to start on Buckshaw station". Chorley Citizen. 9 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Buckshaw Village railway station due to open on October 3rd 2011". BBC News. 7 September 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Buckshaw Village railway stations opens October 3rd 2011". BBC News. 3 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- Kelly, Robert (5 October 2011). "Hottest Ticket in Town". Chorley Guardian, p. 13.
- "Chorley Buckshaw Village Station architectural plans" (PDF). Network Rail. 2007-12-03. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-04-25. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- "Buckshaw Village Station". Buckshaw Village Community Association. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- Northern Rail Timetable 27 - Blackpool North, Lancaster and Preston to Manchester and Manchester Airport from 5 October 2015 Northern Rail; Retrieved 7 January 2016
- GB eNRT, December 2015 Edition, Table 82
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Buckshaw Parkway railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|