Buddha and the Chocolate Box
|Buddha and the Chocolate Box|
|Studio album by Cat Stevens|
|Released||19 March 1974|
Sound Techniques Studios, London, England
|Genre||Soft rock, folk rock|
|Cat Stevens chronology|
Buddha and the Chocolate Box is the eighth studio album by Cat Stevens. The title came to Stevens when he was travelling to a gig on a plane with a Buddha in one hand and a box of chocolates in the other. He pondered that if he were to die in the plane these would be the last objects with him, and he would be caught between the spiritual and the material. The album leans towards the spiritual path, and is an indication of the direction his life would follow.
All tracks composed by Cat Stevens
- Side one
- "Music" – 4:21
- "Oh Very Young" – 2:36
- "Sun/C79" – 4:35
- "Ghost Town" – 3:10
- "Jesus" – 2:14
- Side two
- "Ready" – 3:18
- "King of Trees" – 5:07
- "A Bad Penny" – 3:21
- "Home in the Sky" – 3:38
- Cat Stevens – synthesizer, guitar, keyboards, producer, design, concept, illustrations
- Alun Davies – acoustic guitar, vocals
- Gerry Conway – drums, vocals
- Jean Roussel – strings, arranger, keyboards, string arrangements
- Bruce Lynch – bass
- Jim Ryan – guitar
- Mark Warner – guitar
- Roland Harker – banjo
- Joanne – vocals, choir, chorus, singer
- Judy – vocals, choir, chorus, singer
- Sunny – vocals, choir, chorus, singer
- Ruby – vocals, singer
- Barry – vocals, singer
- Joy – vocals, singer
- Brigette – vocals, choir, chorus, singer
- Suzanne – vocals, soloist
- Jacqui – vocals, choir, chorus, singer
- Clifford – vocals, choir, chorus, singer
- Danny – vocals, singer
- Rick – vocals, singer
- Jimmy – vocals, choir, chorus, singer
- Larry – vocals, singer
- Del Newman – strings, arranger, string arrangements
- Suzanne Cox – vocals, singer
- Paul Samwell-Smith – producer
- John Wood – engineer
- Victor Gamm – engineer, mixing
- Alan Harris – mixing
- Ted Jensen – mastering
- Robin Black – mixing
- Roger Quested – mixing
- Beth Stempel – reissue co-ordination
- Bill Levenson – reissue supervisor
- Vartan – art direction
- Roland Young – design, concept
- Mathieu Bitton – package design, reissue package design
- Ruhlmann, William. Buddha and the Chocolate Box at Allmusic. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- Christgau, Robert. "Consumer Guide: Cat Stevens: Buddha and the Chocolate Box". Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. Retrieved 26 June 2013. See also: Kent Music Report.
- "austriancharts.at Cat Stevens – Buddha and the Chocolate Box" (ASP). Hung Medien (in German). Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 24 February 2012
- "InfoDisc : Tous les Albums classés par Artiste > Choisir Un Artiste Dans la Liste : Cat Stevens". infodisc.fr. Retrieved 24 February 2012. Note: user must select 'Cat STEVENS' from drop-down
- "Hit Parade Italia – Gli album più venduti del 1974" (in Italian). hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved 3 October 2011.
- "norwegiancharts.com Cat Stevens – Buddha and the Chocolate Box" (ASP). Hung Medien. VG-lista. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Chart Stats – Cat Stevens – Buddha and the Chocolate Box" (PHP). UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "allmusic ((( Buddha and the Chocolate Box > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Album Search: Cat Stevens – Buddha and the Chocolate Box" (ASP) (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "RPM Top 100 Albums of 1974". RPM. Retrieved 3 October 2011.
- "Les Albums (CD) de 1972 par InfoDisc" (PHP) (in French). infodisc.fr. Retrieved 11 February 2012.
- "Top Pop Albums of 1974". billboard.biz. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "British album certifications – Cat Stevens – Buddha and the Chocolate Box". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Buddha and the Chocolate Box in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Cat Stevens – the Chocolate Box". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH