Buddhist Global Relief
When the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami happened, Bhikkhu Bodhi was moved to action. He soon raised $160,000 with many dharma friends and when looking for charitable relief organizations he was dismayed to discover a dearth of Buddhist organizations. Three years later, Bodhi authored an article in Buddhadharma: The Practitioner's Quarterly entitled "A Challenge to Buddhists" which urged American Buddhists to be more socially engaged.
Inspired by the article, Bodhi with some of his students formally established Buddhist Global Relief in June 2008 and had it registered the corporation in New Jersey.
BGR works to create long term solutions for ending poverty and hunger as well as focusing on women's education and economic power worldwide.
BGR has partnered with Helen Keller International to provide sufficient micronutrients to people in Niger and Mali. Since 2009, BGR has partnered with Lotus Outreach to create "Food Scholarships for Girls to Stay in School" in Cambodia. BGR was one of the 40 groups which pledged to work with "Tomorrow Together", a coalition created to promote a five-year initiative to encourage unity, empathy, and service each year on 9/11, through to the 20th anniversary of 9/11 in 2021.
After the April 2015 Nepal earthquake, BGR made an emergency donation of $10,000 which was distributed among five charities: UNICEF, CARE, Direct Relief, Oxfam America, and the International Medical Corps.
- Emmanuel, Steven M. (2015). A Companion to Buddhist Philosophy. John Wiley & Sons. p. 527. ISBN 9781119144663.
- "Our history, vision, and mission". Buddhist Global Relief. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- "Buddhist Global Relief". Secular Buddhist Association. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- Miller, Andrea (August 3, 2011). "Profile: Buddhist Global Relief". Lion's Roar. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- Bodhi, Bhikkhu (September 1, 2007). "A Challenge To Buddhists". Lion's Roar. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- Pope, Shelby (October 9, 2015). "Fighting World Hunger The Buddhist Way: Walk to Feed the Hungry with Buddhist Global Relief". KQED. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- "Buddhist Global Relief". GuideStar. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- "New National Initiative, Tomorrow Together, Promoting Unity, Empathy and Service Launches Today In Recognition of 15th Anniversary of 9/11". PR Newswire. August 23, 2016. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- "Watch: How Buddhists are helping after the Earthquake". Lion's Roar. May 5, 2015. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- "Responding to the Massive Earthquake In Nepal". Buddhist Global Relief. April 27, 2015. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- Guyjoco, Chiqui (July 1, 2016). "600 multi-faith volunteers show up in New York to pack aid supplies for Syrian refugees". The Christian Times. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- "Volunteers from range of faiths aim to help Syrians". San Antonio Express News. July 2, 2016. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- "How are Buddhists responding to the refugee crisis?". Lion's Roar. December 16, 2015. Retrieved August 28, 2016.