|Real name||Delmore William Daye|
New Glasgow, Nova Scotia,
|Wins by KO||10|
Delmore William "Buddy" Daye (1928 – October 1995) was a Canadian professional boxer and community activist.
Born in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, Daye moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia as a young man. Daye was a merchant mariner for a short period of time in young adult life. On June 30, 1964, Daye won the Canadian Super Featherweight title. Daye lost the title on January 15, 1966 to Les Gillis. Gillis defended the title on August 7, 1966 against Rocky Gil Boulay. Daye fought nine matches from 1959 to 1966 of which he only won two. Daye's last boxing match was on September 10, 1966 to Leo Noel of Saint John, New Brunswick. Daye was inducted into the Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame in 1981.
Based on multiple public sources such as Wikipedia citing false and unverifiable boxing record information pertaining to Buddy Delmore Daye (BoxRec Global ID 23549), please note that the "incorrect" record of a total of 88 fights, 81 wins, 71 knockouts, and 7 losses has been updated on Wikipedia as of July 3, 2016.
Daye was a community activist in Halifax's North End and supporter of Africville. Daye ran for the Nova Scotia New Democratic Party in the electoral district of Halifax Needham in the 1967 provincial election.
In 1996 his photograph was placed as a permanent memorial in the Nova Scotia House of Assembly.
In June 2006, a street was renamed in his memory in the North End of Halifax, between Göttingen and Maynard streets.
- Buddy Daye Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame
- Halifax Regional Library Black History Month Resource List
- Halifax Regional Library African History Month Timeline
- Article: Halifax welcomes Buddy Daye Street (CBC)
- Buddy Daye Profile
- Article: Walking Black Through Halifax (Shunpiking)
- Article: Buddy Daye Wins Canadian Light Weight Championship (Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame)
- Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame Page on Daye
- Official Boxing Record BoxRec http://www.boxrec.com/boxer/23549
|This Nova Scotia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|