This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Valastro at the 2013 Jersey City Mayoral Inauguration
|Born||Bartolo Valastro Jr.|
March 3, 1977
Hoboken, New Jersey
|Occupation||Owner of Carlo's Bakery, Buddy V's Events & Buddy V's Ristorante|
|Known for||Baker, cake designer and host of Cake Boss|
|Home town||Hoboken, New Jersey|
Lisa Valastro (m. 2001)
Bartolo "Buddy" Valastro Jr. (born March 3, 1977) is an American celebrity chef, entrepreneur, and reality television personality of Italian heritage. He is the owner of Carlo's Bakery, as well as the face of Buddy V's Ristorante. Valastro is best known as the star of the reality television series Cake Boss, which premiered in April 2009. He has also starred in Kitchen Boss (2011), The Next Great Baker (2010), and Buddy's Bakery Rescue (2013).
Valastro was born in Hoboken, New Jersey to Buddy Valastro Sr., and Mary W. Tubito on March 3, 1977 and grew up in urban Hoboken and Little Ferry, New Jersey. His mother was born in Altamura, Italy and is the daughter of Italian-American immigrants who moved to New Jersey when she was six years old. His father, Buddy Sr was born in Lipari, Italy. Valastro grew up with four sisters: Grace, Mary, Maddalena and Lisa.
Valastro is the owner and head baker of Carlo's Bakery, the bakery featured on Cake Boss. Carlo's has since opened 17 more bakeries due to the popularity of the show. In January 2012, as a result of the attention that the shop and the TV series had brought to the city of Hoboken, the Hudson Reporter named Valastro as an honorable mention in its list of Hudson County's 50 most influential people.
Carlo's Bakery currently has seven locations in New Jersey—Hoboken, Marlton, Morristown, Red Bank, Ridgewood, Wayne, and Westfield. Outside of New Jersey, the bakery operates locations in Philadelphia, PA; Bethlehem, PA; Westbury and New York, NY; Orlando, FL; Frisco, Dallas, and The Woodlands, TX; São Paulo, Brazil; Uncasville, CT; Las Vegas and most recently in Minneapolis, MN. The Lackawanna Factory in nearby Jersey City serves as the corporate office for the business and is used as additional space to create wedding and specialty cakes, and to bake specialty baked goods for shipment across the country.
Valastro launched an event planning and catering company, Buddy V's Events, in June 2014. It specializes in catering everything from corporate events to family gatherings, as well as planning events such as weddings and galas.
In 2016 Valastro partnered with Whole Earth Sweetener Co. on a campaign to "Rethink Sweet." "Buddy will serve as the official brand ambassador for the new line of zero- and lower-calorie sweeteners, and will work to help his fans make healthy lifestyle choices, without compromising on taste. Buddy will share his culinary expertise, along with all-new, original and seasonally festive recipes for mouthwatering treats using Whole Earth Sweetener Co. products."
In 2018 Valastro partnered with The Pound Bakery, a pet treat manufacturing company to redesign and launch a new line of pet treats. "We wanted to create palatable treats for dogs that are inspired by classic Italian entrees and desserts," said Lexie Berglund, President of The Pound Bakery. Buddy also worked with several other companies to launch a full line of ready-to-use fondant, buttercream icing, and Italian Biscotti cookies under the new brand name Buddy Valastro Foods in 2018.
Until 2014, Valastro resided in East Hanover Township, New Jersey, with his wife Lisa and four children: Sofia Valastro, Bartolo "Buddy" Valastro III, Marco Valastro, and Carlo Valastro. He has four sisters and a stepfather, Sergio. As of 2014, he resided in Montville, New Jersey.
On 13 November 2014, Valastro was arrested for driving while intoxicated. "You can't arrest me," he told the police. "I'm the Cake Boss." "Is there anything we can do?" he asked. "I'm a good guy. You don't have to arrest me." Buddy's driver's license was suspended for 90 days and he paid a $300 fine.
|2007||Food Network Challenge||Guest mentor||Episode: "Battle of the Brides"|
|2010–14||Next Great Baker||Host / Judge|
|2013–14||Buddy's Bakery Rescue||Host|
|2015||The Apprentice||Guest judge||Episode: "May the Gods of Good Pies Be with Us"|
|2015–present||Battle of the Bakers||Host / Judge|
|2016||Battle of the Cooks||Host / Judge|
|2016||Buddy's Family Vacation||Host|
|2016–present||Bakers vs. Fakers||Host|
|2018–present||Buddy's Big Bakedown||Host|
|2010–12||Next Great Baker||6 episodes|
|2011–12||Kitchen Boss||All episodes|
|2015–present||Batalha dos Confeiteiros||All episodes|
|2016||Batalha dos Cozinheiros||All episodes|
|2016||Cake Boss||8 episodes|
|2016||Cooks vs. Cons||1 episode|
|2016||Bakers vs. Fakers||All episodes|
In popular culture
- "Buddy height = 5'6 Valastro". Hollywood Life. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Staff. "The Cake Boss returns to Little Ferry", Little Ferry Local, May 7, 2010. Accessed November 14, 2014. "Cake Boss Buddy Valastro returned to Little Ferry on April 27 to accept the 'keys to the city' during ceremonies at Borough Hall. Valastro, who grew up in town, is best known for his starring role on the TLC television program The Cake Boss.".
- "Buddy Valastro". TLC. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- "Il boss delle torte arriva ad Altamura" (in Italian).
- "'Cake Boss' Buddy Valastro adds a layer to TV/bakery empire with Times Square cafe". NY Daily News. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- "Buddy Valastro Pets Launches Treats with The Pound Bakery". www.petbusiness.com. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- Heilpern, John (December 2013). "Out to Lunch with Buddy Valastro". Vanity Fair. Condé Nast. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Triggs, Charlotte (August 13, 2012). "Cake Boss Buddy Valastro: My Mom's Fight to Live". People. Time Inc. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Moore, Tina; Jacobs, Shayna; and Siemaszko, Corky. "'Cake Boss' star Buddy Valastro tried to charm NYPD out of drunk driving charge: prosecutors; The 37-year-old was pulled over by NYPD officers after he was seen driving erratically in Hell’s Kitchen early Thursday and failed a Breathalyzer test given soon after. He was charged with driving while intoxicated and driving while ability impaired, and declined in court to plead guilty.", Daily News (New York), November 13, 2014. Accessed November 17, 2015. "It wasn't clear where Valastro, who is 37 and lives in Montville, N.J., was heading at 1 a.m. when the cops corralled him."
- Carroll, Timothy J. "Buddy’s kind of town; 'Cake Boss’' calls out Ace of Cakes, talks season 2", Hudson Reporter, August 9, 2009. Accessed September 12, 2015. "He loves Hoboken – even though he lives in East Hanover – and is proud that his father was one of thousands of immigrants who settled here."
- Pellettieri, Cortney (July 4, 2011). "Man of the House: Buddy Valastro". Good Housekeeping. Hearst Corporation. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Berk, Nancy (May 1, 2015). "Showbiz Analysis with Cake Boss Couple Buddy and Lisa Valastro". Parade. Athlon Publishing. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Smith, Dustin (2009-03-25). "TLC Takes the Cake With Buddy Valastro" (Press release). Discovery Press Web. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Buddy Valastro.|