Budge Patty in 1958
|Full name||John Edward Patty|
|Country (sports)||United States|
February 11, 1924 |
Fort Smith, Arkansas, U.S.
|Turned pro||1940 (amateur tour)|
|Plays||Right-handed (1-handed backhand)|
|Int. Tennis HoF||1977 (member page)|
|Career record||777-182 (81.02%) |
|Career titles||73 |
|Highest ranking||No. 1 (1950, John Olliff)|
|Grand Slam Singles results|
|French Open||W (1950)|
|US Open||QF (1951, 1953, 1957)|
|Grand Slam Doubles results|
|US Open||F (1957)|
|Grand Slam Mixed Doubles results|
|French Open||W (1946)|
John Edward "Budge" Patty (born February 11, 1924) is a former World No. 1 American tennis player whose career spanned a period of fifteen years after World War II. He won two Grand Slam singles titles in 1950.
Patty was born in Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States.
In 1950, he won the men's singles title at the French Championships defeating Egypt's Jaroslav Drobný in a five-set match. A few weeks later he also won the Wimbledon Championships in a four-set victory over Australian Frank Sedgman. Only two other American male players have achieved this double victory: Don Budge in 1938 and Tony Trabert in 1955.
Grand Slams finals
Singles (2 titles, 1 runner-up)
|Runner-up||1949||French Championships||Clay||Frank Parker||3–6, 6–1, 1–6, 4–6|
|Winner||1950||French Championships||Clay||Jaroslav Drobný||6–1, 6–2, 2–6, 5–7, 7–5|
|Winner||1950||Wimbledon Championships||Grass||Frank Sedgman||6–1, 8–10, 6–2, 6–3|
Doubles (1 title, 1 runner-up)
|Winner||1957||Wimbledon||Grass||Gardnar Mulloy|| Neale Fraser
|8–10, 6–4, 6–4, 6–4|
|Runner-up||1957||US National Championships||Grass||Gardnar Mulloy|| Ashley Cooper
|6–4, 3–6, 7–9, 3–6|
Mixed Doubles (1 title)
|Winner||1946||French Championships||Clay||Pauline Betz|| Dorothy Bundy
|Grand Slam Tournaments|
- Patty, Edward John (1951). Tennis my way by Budge Patty. New York: Hutchinson’s Library of Sports and Pastimes. LCCN 51008955.
- Garcia, Gabriel. "Budge Patty: Career match record". thetennisbase.com. Tennismem SL. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Jesse Edward (Budge) Patty: Stats". tennisarchives.com. Tennis Archives. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- United States Lawn Tennis Association (1972). Official Encyclopedia of Tennis (First Edition), p. 426.
- "Tennis Grand Slam Winners – Tennis – ESPN". ESPN. go.com. Retrieved January 18, 2010.
- "Tennis Hall of Fame – John Edward Patty "Budge"". International Tennis Hall of Fame. Retrieved May 11, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Budge Patty.|