Buena Park High School
|Buena Park High School|
|8833 Academy Drive
Buena Park, California 90621
|Established||September 11, 1956|
|School board||Fullerton Joint Union High School District|
|Color(s)||Forest Green, White and Black|
Buena Park High School opened its doors with 508 students on September 11, 1956, as the third school in the Fullerton Joint Union High School District. The school was made possible by a bond issue voted by citizens in the FJUHSD to serve students in Buena Park, La Palma, and west Fullerton.
Under the leadership of its first principal, Richard Spaulding, the enrollment increased to 2,200. Dr. John Machisic succeeded Spaulding in 1974, and served in that capacity until 1975. The BPHS student body recognized Richard Spaulding for his many years of service as principal by renaming the football stadium in his honor. Dr. Jack Holm followed Dr. Machisic for the next seven years until 1983, when Jim Bremer, a BPHS graduate (1960) began his tenure at Buena Park. Dr. George Giokaris assumed the responsibilities of principal from 1987 to 1989; Christine Hoffman served from 1989–1992; and Tom Triggs served from 1992–1998. Dr. Michael Conroy served from 1998–2001. Maggie Buchan served from 2001–2006. Dr. Benjamin Wolf served from 2006–2009. Jim Coombs served as principal from the summer of 2010 until Sonje Berg took office January 3, 2017. All of these leaders, including the assistant principals, have given their time, energy and creative talents to mold BPHS into the fine school it is today.
Since 1967, Buena Park High School has undergone the accreditation process eight times. Most recently, the school went through the process in 2010–2011. Under the supervision of the Western Association of Schools and colleges, an intensive review was completed of every facet of the school's operation. A full six-year accreditation was awarded to Buena Park High School which certifies to all other educational institutions that the high school meets all standards set for high quality schools and that credits and grades earned by its graduates are based on quality criteria.
Buena Park High School enjoys high status in academics, athletics and the performing arts. High performance standards in the classroom, in competitive sports, and in artistic productions have earned an outstanding reputation.
Buena Park's sports teams are known as the Coyotes, and are members of the CIF Southern Section. They compete in the Freeway League against the other five high schools in the district. The 2001,football team made it to the CIF Championship game and lost to Brea Olinda. In addition, The 2008 water polo team placed second in the freeway league and advanced to the CIF quarter finals. The 2009 Girls' Varsity Tennis team advanced to CIF for the first time in BPHS history.The Cross Country team also advanced to CIF for the first time in almost 20 years under the leadership of Barry Migliorini. The Cross Country team swept the freeway league titles for the Frosh off and JV levels, varsity came in second losing to Troy high school. In 2011, they won the league title and went on to the CIF SS finals and one individual boy, Gilberto Solorza, advancing to the state finals in cross country. Cross Country is also one of the most winning sports in Buena Park, followed by Wrestling, Water Polo, and Football.
- Steven Seagal — Actor, producer, writer, director, martial artist, guitarist, and deputy sheriff
- Zachary Zorn — Freestyle swimming world record holder and Olympic gold medalist (1968)
- K. W. Jeter — Author
- Harry Anderson — Actor, writer, director and magician (most well known for Night Court)
- Emily Dole, known as Mt. Fiji — Professional wrestler
- Francisco "Cisco" Rivera — professional Mixed Martial Arts, current UFC #11 Bantamweight Contender 
- Dave Rowland — Lead singer of the band Dave & Sugar
- Lawrence A. Haskins — Commanding General of the California National Guard.
- Buena Park High School's "School Accountability Report Card" (SARC), published during 2015-16, using data from the 2014-15 school year. Accessed 2016-08-13.
- "Buena Park High School Principal Selection", FJUHSD For Your Information. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- "Buena Park High School alumni". Alumni.com. Archived from the original on February 9, 2012. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- "Francisco Rivera Buena Park Alum". Retrieved 2014. Check date values in:
- "Francisco Rivera UFC Profile". Retrieved 2014. Check date values in:
- "Buena Park High School alumni". High School Network. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- Buena Park High School official site