Buenos Aires Línea Belgrano Sur railway station
Front view of the station.
|Location||Olavarría 3300, Buenos Aires
|Owned by||Government of Argentina|
Buenos Aires (Spanish: Estación Buenos Aires) is a passenger railway station in the city of Buenos Aires, Argentina. The station is terminus of the Belgrano Sur line that runs trains along Greater Buenos Aires region.
The station is located a short distance north of the Riachuelo River, on the boundaries between the barrios of Parque Patricios and Barracas, two outlying neighbourhoods in the southern part of the city.
Despite its name, Buenos Aires is not the principal railway station of the city and is only a secondary commuter rail station. The local transport company Argentren operates various daily diesel trains to and from the Buenos Aires suburbs along two branches of the Belgrano Sur line. Destinations include several stations in La Matanza Partido.
The station is accessible by some city bus services but it is the only railway station in Buenos Aires that has no access to the Subte of Buenos Aires.
Buenos Aires was opened in 1911 as part of the French-owned company Compañía Gral. de Buenos Aires railway network, that reached several cities in the Buenos Aires Province such as Patricios in 9 de Julio Partido, General Villegas, Victorino de la Plaza (Guaminí Partido), La Plata and Vedia among other destinations.
When the entire Argentine railway network was nationalised in 1948, state-owned company Ferrocarriles Argentinos took over the services of the line. In August 1977, National decree 2294 stated the closure of 225-km. of the line and all rail tracks were also removed. Due to increasing population in the region, the "Marinos del Crucero Gral. Belgrano" was built for passenger services.
With the railway privatisation carried out by Carlos Menem's presidency, concession was granted to Metropolitano although the concession would be revoked in 2007 because of the poor service conditions, being consortium UGOFE the operator of the line until 2013.
- "Roggio y EMEPA se repartirán el manejo de cuatro ferrocarriles", Clarín, 13 Nov 2013
- "Trenes cero kilómetro después de cincuenta años", Página/12, 26 Nov 2014
- "Trenes: le dan a Roggio el Mitre y el San Martín y a Emepa, el Roca y el Belgrano Sur", La Nación, 12 Feb 2014
- "Las privadas volverán a operar la mayoría de las líneas ferroviarias", Clarín, 12 Feb 2014
- "El Gobierno estableció un nuevo régimen de operaciones de las líneas ferroviaria, Telam, 12 Feb 2014
- "De a uno por línea, para mejor control", Página 12, 12 Feb 2014
- "Metrovías operará las líneas Mitre y San Martín", En el Subte, 12 Feb 2014