After a friend suggested that someone should make a dungeon adventure book that allows the player to choose an answer and turn to another page, Rick Loomis wrote Buffalo Castle (1976).:36 Buffalo Castle was an introduction to Tunnels & Trolls, a basic dungeon for a warrior of level 1–2.:226
Although it is widely believed that the Fighting Fantasy series of books were the first gamebooks to use dice and allow the character to possess statistics and equipment, Buffalo Castle pre-dates the Fighting Fantasy series by six years and used the same types of mechanics. Buffalo Castle may have been the first published adventure gamebook.
In other media
Buffalo Castle is included in the mobile game Tunnels and Trolls Adventures.
- Shannon Appelcline (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- Schick, Lawrence (1991). Heroic Worlds: A History and Guide to Role-Playing Games. Prometheus Books. ISBN 0-87975-653-5. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Item - Buffalo Castle - Demian's Gamebook Web Page". gamebooks.org. Archived from the original on 2012-03-17. Retrieved 2018-09-18.
- Jackson, Steve (December 1976 – January 1977). "Reviews". The Space Gamer. Metagaming (9): 28. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Tunnels and Trolls Adventures". tunnels-and-trolls.metaarcade.com. Retrieved 2019-11-19.