Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Tanya Wexler|
|Written by||Brian Sacca|
|Music by||Matthew Margeson|
|Edited by||Casey Brooks|
|Distributed by||Magnolia Pictures|
Buffaloed is a 2019 American comedy-drama film directed by Tanya Wexler and written by Brian Sacca. It stars Zoey Deutch, Judy Greer, Jermaine Fowler, Noah Reid, and Jai Courtney. The film had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 27, 2019, and was released in select theatres and on demand on February 14, 2020, by Magnolia Pictures.
Homegrown hustler Peg Dahl will do anything to escape Buffalo, New York. After getting into some trouble, she finds herself crippled by debt, and with her chances of a brighter future outside of her hometown squandered, she decides to become a debt collector herself and wages war with the city's debt-collecting "kingpin".
- Zoey Deutch as Peggy Dahl
- Kate Moyer as Young Peggy Dahl
- Jermaine Fowler as Graham Feany
- Judy Greer as Kathy Dahl
- Noah Reid as JJ
- Lusia Strus as Frances
- Lorrie Odom as Backer
- Raymond Ablack as Prakash
- Jai Courtney as Wizz
- Brian Sacca as Sal
In July 2018, it was announced Zoey Deutch and Jermaine Fowler had joined the cast of the film, with Tanya Wexler directing from a screenplay by Brian Sacca. In August 2018, Judy Greer joined the cast of the film.
The film had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 27, 2019. Shortly after, Magnolia Pictures acquired distribution rights to the film and later released it on February 14, 2020. It also had a special screening at the Buffalo International Film Festival on October 13, 2019.
On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 78%, based on 49 reviews, with an average rating of 6.50/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "This late-capitalism comedy is undeniably uneven, but Zoey Deutch's effervescent performance gives Buffaloed wings." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 61 out of 100, based on 13 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Buffaloed". Tribeca Film Festival. Retrieved March 13, 2019.
- "Buffaloed (2019)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 21, 2020.
- "Buffaloed (2019)". The Numbers. Retrieved February 21, 2020.
- Kroll, Justin (July 23, 2018). "Zoey Deutch to Star in Indie Drama 'Buffaloed'". Variety. Retrieved July 24, 2018.
- Wiseman, Andreas (July 23, 2018). "Zoey Deutch To Star In & Produce Debt Collector Dramedy 'Buffaloed'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 24, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (July 25, 2018). "Jermaine Fowler Joins Zoey Deutch in Indie Drama 'Buffaloed' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved July 25, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (August 1, 2018). "Judy Greer Joins Zoey Deutch In Indie FIlm 'Buffaloed'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- "Buffaloed". Below the Line. Retrieved July 24, 2018.
- Sacca, Brian (August 23, 2018). "LAST DAY on @buffaloedmovie — I'm incredibly grateful to everyone involved! Thank you @zoeydeutch @tanyawexler @masonnovick @brookealdavies @jermainefowler @jaicourtney and all the other creative sonsabitches that made this so special to me". Retrieved August 23, 2018 – via Instagram.
- Hayes, Dade (March 5, 2019). "Tribeca Film Festival Unveils Feature Lineup, With Screen Time For John DeLorean, Muhammad Ali, Chelsea Manning". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 5, 2019.
- "Buffaloed". The Numbers. Retrieved November 28, 2019.
- "Buffaloed | BIFF 2019". Buffalo International Film Festival. Retrieved December 20, 2019.
- "Buffaloed (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved September 29, 2020.
- "Buffaloed Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved February 28, 2020.