Long on 1954 Bowman football card
|Position:||Defensive back, halfback, end|
|Date of birth:||December 14, 1931|
|Place of birth:||Lake Wales, Florida|
|Date of death:||September 1, 2006(aged 74)|
|Place of death:||Wauchula, Florida|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school:||Lake Wales (FL)|
|NFL Draft:||1953 / Round: 5 / Pick: 58|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Buford Eugene Long (December 14, 1931 – September 1, 2006) was an American college and professional football player who was a defensive back, halfback and end in the National Football League (NFL) for three seasons during the 1950s. Long played college football for the University of Florida, and thereafter, he played professionally for the New York Giants of the NFL.
Long attended the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Bob Woodruff's Florida Gators football team from 1950 to 1952. In an era when the college football rules permitted only limited player substitutions, Long played on both offense and defense, and was a standout halfback and defensive back. Memorably, as a senior in 1952, Long ran seventy-seven yards for a touchdown in the Gators' 30–0 upset of their rivals, the Georgia Bulldogs. Long was a key member of the Gators' 1952 backfield that included fullback Rick Casares and quarterback Doug Dickey and led the Gators to an 8–3 season and a 14–13 victory over the Tulsa Golden Hurricane—their first-ever NCAA-sanctioned post-season bowl game. Memorably, as a senior, he had 77-yard touchdown run to help defeat the rival Georgia Bulldogs 30–0. Bob Woodruff ranked Long as one of the three best backs to play for the Gators during the 1950s.
During his senior season, Long rushed for fourteen touchdowns, and was a third-team All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) selection. He finished his college career with twenty-five rushing touchdowns, which still ranks eighth on the Gators' all-time career records list. Long also earned varsity letters as a member of the Florida Gators baseball and track and field teams.
The New York Giants selected Long in the fifth round (fifty-eighth pick overall) of the 1953 NFL Draft, and he played for the Giants for three seasons from 1953 to 1955. In his three-year NFL career, Long played in twenty-six games, rushed fifty-two times for 164 yards and a touchdown, had thirty-three receptions for 462 yards and four touchdowns, made three interceptions, and returned twenty-three kickoffs for 607 yards.
Long died September 1, 2006; he was 74 years old.
- Florida Gators football, 1950–59
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- List of New York Giants players
- List of University of Florida alumni
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Buford Long. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Buford Long. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide Archived April 2, 2012, at the Wayback Machine., University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 96, 138, 152, 183 (2011). Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- Tom McEwen, The Gators: A Story of Florida Football, The Strode Publishers, Huntsville, Alabama, pp. 180–181, 210–211 (1974).
- Associated Press, "Buford Long Awarded Three Varsity Letters," Sarasota Herald-Tribune, p. 11 (June 7, 1953). Retrieved February 28, 2012.
- F Club, Hall of Fame, Gator Greats. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 1953 National Football League Draft. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- National Football League, Historical Players, Buford Long. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- Robbie Andreu, "Buford Long, a Gator great, dead at 74, The Gainesville Sun (September 1, 2006). Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- Hairston, Jack, Tales from the Gator Swamp: A Collection of the Greatest Gator Stories Ever Told, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois (2002). ISBN 1-58261-514-4.
- McCarthy, Kevin M., Fightin' Gators: A History of University of Florida Football, Arcadia Publishing, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (2000). ISBN 978-0-7385-0559-6.
- McEwen, Tom, The Gators: A Story of Florida Football, The Strode Publishers, Huntsville, Alabama (1974). ISBN 0-87397-025-X.
- Nash, Noel, ed., The Gainesville Sun Presents The Greatest Moments in Florida Gators Football, Sports Publishing, Inc., Champaign, Illinois (1998). ISBN 1-57167-196-X.