Buford and the Galloping Ghost
|Buford and the Galloping Ghost|
|Directed by||Ray Patterson|
|Voices of||Frank Welker|
|Theme music composer||Hoyt Curtin|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||13 (26 segments)|
|Executive producer(s)||William Hanna|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original release||September 9, 1978 –|
September 1, 1979
|Related shows||Yogi's Space Race|
Buford and the Galloping Ghost is a 30-minute Saturday morning animated series and a spin-off of Yogi's Space Race produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions which was broadcast on NBC from September 9, 1978, to September 1, 1979. The series was composed of two 11-minute segments: The Buford Files and The Galloping Ghost.
The Buford Files and The Galloping Ghost originally aired separately as segments on Yogi's Space Race from September 9, 1978, to January 27, 1979. Following the cancellation of Yogi's Space Race, both segments were repackaged and spun off in their own half-hour series from February 3 to September 1, 1979. The show has been rebroadcast on USA Cartoon Express, Cartoon Network and Boomerang.
- Buford (voiced by Frank Welker): Buford is a lazy bloodhound with a mournful bark and a sharp nose for solving mysteries who lives deep in Fenokee Swamp. He teams up with the teenage Boggs twins – Cindy Mae and Woody (voiced by Pat Parris and Dave Landsburg) – and the trio solves confusing mysteries that baffle Sheriff Muletrain (voiced by Henry Corden) and his overeager, but dimwitted deputy Goofer McGee (voiced by Roger Peltz). Buford's abilities are expanded with ears that revolve like radar dishes, and his nose responds to clues like a Geiger counter. But Buford has two weaknesses: when the moon comes out, he howls his heart out, often at the most perilous moments and he also has a running feud with a karate-whacking raccoon.
- Nugget Nose (voiced by Frank Welker): Nugget Nose is the short and feisty ghost of an Old West gold prospector who finds adventure riding his invisible horse. He is also a guardian to two teenage cowgirls – Wendy and Rita (voiced by Marilyn Schreffler and Pat Parris) – who work at the Fuddy Dude Ranch owned by grouchy, old Fenwick Fuddy (voiced by Hal Peary). Whenever Fuddy threatens to fire the girls, Nugget makes himself invisible and becomes a helping friend. He is always battling Fuddy and takes delight in harassing him in odd and humorous ways. When the girls are in trouble, Wendy summons Nugget by rubbing on her special gold nugget necklace.
Buford, Nugget Nose, Wendy and Rita also participated in intergalactic racing competitions with Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Jabberjaw and other characters on the Yogi's Space Race segment (which was also spun-off into a separate half-hour). While Nugget Nose, Wendy and Rita race together as a trio, Buford's partner is Jabberjaw whose race ship contains a track on which Buford runs to increase speed.
The Buford Files and The Galloping Ghost segments were originally broadcast in these formats on NBC:
- Yogi's Space Race (September 9, 1978 – October 28, 1978) (90 minutes)
- Yogi's Space Race (November 4, 1978 – January 27, 1979) (60 minutes)
- Buford and the Galloping Ghost (February 3, 1979 – September 1, 1979) (30 minutes)
Broadcast schedules (all EDT):
- September 9, 1978 – October 28, 1978, NBC Saturday 8:00-9:30 AM
- November 4, 1978 – January 27, 1979, NBC Saturday 11:00 AM-12:00 PM
- February 3, 1979 – September 1, 1979, NBC Saturday 12:00-12:30 PM
|Nº||The Buford Files / The Galloping Ghost||Original air date|
|1||"The Swamp Hermit / Phantom of the Horse Opera"||September 9, 1978|
|2||"The Vanishing Stallion / Too Many Crooks"||September 16, 1978|
|3||"The Swamp Saucer / Sagebrush Sergeant"||September 23, 1978|
|4||"The Man with Orange Hair / Bad News Bear"||September 30, 1978|
|5||"The Demon of Ur / Robot Round-Up"||October 7, 1978|
|6||"The Missing Bank / Pests in the West"||October 14, 1978|
|7||"Scare in the Air / Rock Star Nuggie"||October 21, 1978|
|8||"Buford and the Beauty / Frontier Fortune Teller"||October 28, 1978|
|9||"Peril in the Park / I Want My Mummy"||November 4, 1978|
|10||"The Magic Whammy / Mr. Sunshine's Eclipse"||November 11, 1978|
|11||"The Haunting of Swamp Manor / Klondike Kate"||November 18, 1978|
|12||"The Case of the Missing Gator / A Ghost of a Chance"||November 25, 1978|
|13||"Don't Monkey with Buford / Elmo the Great"||December 2, 1978|
Buford and the Galloping Ghost was animated at Filman, an animation studio in Madrid, Spain (headed by Carlos Alfonso and Juan Pina) who did a lot of animation work for Hanna-Barbera between the early 1970s through the mid-1980s.