|Motto||Excellence in Service|
|Chancellor||Dr. John Kakembo|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Patrick Manu|
Luwero District, Uganda
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
- 1 Location
- 2 History
- 3 Academic divisions
- 4 Academic courses
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
The university is on land that measures 640 acres (260 ha), in Kalagala sub-county, Bamunanika county, Luweero District in the Central Region of Uganda. The main campus is approximately 34 kilometres (21 mi), by road, northeast of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. It is approximately 18 kilometres (11 mi), by road, south of the town of Ziroobwe, on the Gayaza-Ziroobwe Road.
The coordinates of Bugema University campus are 0°34'10.48"N, 32°38'30.55"E (Latitude: 0.57; Longitude: 32.6418).
|This section does not cite any sources. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The institution started in 1948 as a training school for teachers and pastors for the Seventh-day Adventist Church in East Africa. At that time it was called Bugema Missionary Training School. Later, the name changed to Bugema Missionary College and then to Bugema Adventist College. In 1978, the first class offering degrees graduated with the Bachelor of Theology degree. The college expanded and by the late 1980s curricula for Business and Education were added. In 1994, Bugema Adventist College changed its status from "college" to "university". In 1997, Bugema University was granted a tertiary institution license from the Ministry of Education and Sports.
Bugema University is composed of the following schools:
School of Business
- Department of Accounting and Finance
- Department of Management and Marketing
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Engineerig
School of Social Sciences
- Department of Developmental Studies
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Theology and Religious Studies
School of Education
- Department of Arts
- Department of Science
- Department of Languages
School of Graduate Studies
Bugema University's School of Graduate Studies is affiliated with the University of Eastern Africa, Baraton in Kenya with some of the postgraduate courses. The school is also affiliated with Central Luzon State University with some of the postgraduate courses and serves as a center of e-learning on some Doctoral programs offered at Central Luzon State University in the Philippines.
The academic courses offered at BU include the following:
Undergraduate degree programs
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Management
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Office Administration
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Economics
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Business Information Systems
- Bachelor of Business Administration in International Trade
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Entrepreneurship
- Bachelor of Arts with Education
- Bachelor of Science with Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Development Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Counseling
- Bachelor of Social Work and Social Administration
- Bachelor of Theology
- Bachelor of Arts in Religious Studies
Postgraduate degree programs
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Counseling
- Master of Arts in Education Management
- Master of Arts in Development Studies
- Masters in
- Master of Arts in English Literature
- Master of Science in Education
- Master of Professional Studies in Education
- Master of Science in Rural Development
- Master of Professional Studies in Rural Development
- Master in Local Government Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Developmental Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Rural Development
- Doctor of Philosophy in Developmental Communication
- Diploma in Accounting
- Diploma in Marketing
- Diploma in Office Administration
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Diploma in Education
Short certificate courses
- Certificate in Small Business Computer Networks
- Certificate in Office Automation and Data management
- Certificate in Computer Repair and Maintenance
- List of Seventh-day Adventist colleges and universities
- Seventh-day Adventist education
- Seventh-day Adventist theology
- History of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Adventist Colleges and Universities
- Adventist University of Africa
- Education in Uganda
- List of universities in Uganda
- Kiiza, Venenscias (4 November 2014). "Bugema University Graduates Urged To Start Private Projects". Red Pepper (Uganda). Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Manu, Patrick (1 January 2015). "Vice Chancellor's New Year's Message 2015" (PDF). Bugema University (BMU). Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 February 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2010/1115/For-real-education-reform-take-a-cue-from-the-Adventists"the second largest Christian school system in the world has been steadily outperforming the national average – across all demographics."
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-03-23. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- "Department of Education, Seventh-day Adventist Church". Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- Rogers, Wendi; Kellner, Mark A. (April 1, 2003). "World Church: A Closer Look at Higher Education". Adventist News Network. Archived from the original on 2011-07-24. Retrieved 2010-06-19.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Bugema With Interactive Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Map Showing Bugema And Zirobwe With Route Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Google. "Location of Bugema University Main Campus at Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Academic Departments at Bugema University
- Academic Courses at Bugema University