Buies Creek, North Carolina
|Buies Creek, North Carolina|
Location of Buies Creek, North Carolina
|• Total||2.30 sq mi (5.95 km2)|
|• Land||2.29 sq mi (5.93 km2)|
|• Water||0.004 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
|Elevation||213 ft (65 m)|
|• Density||1,284/sq mi (495.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0982191|
Buies Creek (//) is a census-designated place (CDP) located in the Neills Creek Township of Harnett County, North Carolina, United States. It is the home of Campbell University. The population was 2,942 at the 2010 census, up from 2,215 in 2000. Buies Creek is a part of the Dunn Micropolitan Area, which is also a part of the greater Raleigh–Durham–Cary Combined Statistical Area (CSA) as defined by the United States Census Bureau.
The community is in eastern Harnett County, 7 miles (11 km) northwest of Erwin and 5 miles (8 km) east of Lillington, the county seat. U.S. Route 421 passes through the community, connecting the two nearby towns. According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.30 square miles (5.95 km2), of which 0.004 square miles (0.01 km2), or 0.25%, is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,942 people, 577 households, and 232 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,296.0 people per square mile (500.3/km²). There were 699 housing units at an average density of 307.9 per square mile (118.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 78.3% White, 14.8% African American, 0.7% Native American, 2.2% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 1.9% from other races, and 2.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.6% of the population.
There were 577 households out of which 15.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 29.6% were married couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 59.8% were non-families. 36.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.07 and the average family size was 2.73.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 4.3% under the age of 14, 32.4% from 15 to 19, 42.0% from 20 to 24, 9.0% from 25 to 44, 7.9% from 45 to 64, and 4.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 21 years. For every 100 females, there were 80.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.1 males.
As of the 2014 American Community Survey (ACS), the median income for a household in the CDP was $31,959, and the median income for a family was $51,106. Males had a median income of $9,625 versus $11,908 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $8,301. As of the 2010 ACS, about 12.0% of families and 38.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.8% of those under age 18 and 0.0% of those age 65 or over. It is also the home of many farms and primarily known because it is home to Campbell University.
Colleges and universities
- Paul Green, Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright
- Stephanie Patrick, YouTuber
- Robert Burren Morgan, United States senator
- Rhett and Link, online comedians
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 11 September 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Talk Like a Tarheel", from the North Carolina Collection's website at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Buies Creek CDP, North Carolina". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- 1967 Session Laws of North Carolina, Chapter 1145 (accessed 14 February 2007)