Energy audits are performed by energy auditors, also known as building analysts or consultants, which, in the United States, are usually certified by the Building Performance Institute (BPI) or the Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET).
The United States Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy started a national program "Home Performance with ENERGY STAR" to offer a comprehensive, whole-house approach to improving energy efficiency and comfort at home, while helping to protect the environment. The Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program has 40 programs, to date, across the country which are administered by various utilities and state energy offices.
- Efficient energy use
- Health & Safety
- Indoor Air Quality
- Thermal Comfort
- Indoor Moisture sources and solutions
Diagnostic equipment includes:
- Blower door
- Duct leakage tester (Duct Blaster (R))
- Thermal Imaging camera
- Combustion analyzer
- Carbon monoxide detector
A home performance energy audit results in home energy retrofit recommendations to improve the comfort and efficiency of the home, the most common of which include:
- Sealing air holes and gaps in the building envelope
- Sealing & insulating structures like attic access stairways & whole house fans
- installing new windows or sealing existing windows
- Adding insulation.
- Sealing ducts.
- Upgrading heating and cooling systems, appliances and lighting by replacing them with energy efficient equipment such as ENERGY STAR appliances or devices, compact fluorescent lamps, or LED lamps.
- Adding heat recovery ventilation or other means to control and upgrade fresh air ventilation.
- Controlling moisture.
- Residential Sector: Designing a prescriptive whole house retrofit program Michael Wheeler, California Public Utilities Commission, page 15
- "Home Energy Rating System (HERS)". www.southface.org. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- Home Performance with ENERGY STAR
- http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=home_improvement.hm_improvement_index[dead link]
- "Mold Overview and Health Concerns". www.filterbuy.com. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- Global Buildings Performance Network
- BPI Building Performance Institute - U.S. organization setting home performance technical standards
- Efficiency First - U.S. trade association of home performance contractors and others promoting performance based energy retrofits.
- Home Energy Magazine - Home performance articles.