Bukkake (Japanese: ぶっかけ, [bɯkkake] ( listen)) (English: // or /--/, buu-KA(H)-kay) is a sex act portrayed in pornographic films, in which several men ejaculate on a woman, or another man. Bukkake videos are a relatively prevalent niche in contemporary pornographic films. Originating in Japan in the 1980s, the genre subsequently spread to North America and Europe, and crossed over into gay pornography.
Bukkake is the noun form of the Japanese verb bukkakeru (ぶっ掛ける, to dash or sprinkle water), and means "to dash", "splash", or "heavy splash". The compound verb can be decomposed into a prefix and a verb: butsu (ぶつ) and kakeru (掛ける). Butsu is a prefix derived from the verb "buchi", which literally means to hit, but the usage of the prefix is a verb-intensifier.
Kakeru in this context means to shower or pour. The word bukkake is often used in Japanese to describe pouring out a liquid with sufficient momentum to cause splashing or spilling. Indeed, bukkake is used in Japan to describe a type of dish where hot broth is poured over noodles, as in bukkake udon and bukkake soba.
Bukkake was first represented in pornographic films in the mid to late 1980s in Japan. According to one commentator, a significant factor in the development of bukkake as a pornographic form was the mandatory censorship in Japan where genitals must be pixelated by a "mosaic". One consequence of this is that Japanese pornography tends to focus more on the face and body of actresses rather than on their genitals. Since film producers could not show penetration, they sought other ways to depict sex acts without violating Japanese law and since semen did not need to be censored, a loophole existed for harder sex scenes. However, popularization of the act and the term for it has been credited to director Kazuhiko Matsumoto in 1998. The Japanese adult video studio Shuttle Japan registered the term "ぶっかけ/ＢＵＫＫＡＫＥ" as a trademark (No. 4545137) in January 2001.
The practice then spread from Japan to American and then European pornography after US porn producers discovered Japanese bukkake videos in the late 1990s. The appearance of bukkake videos was part of a trend towards "harder" pornography in the 1990s, preceded by a fashion for double penetration videos in the mid-1990s, and occurring in parallel to the appearance of gang bang videos towards the end of that decade. There was an economic advantage for Western pornographers to produce bukkake films since they only require one actress, and often amateur male performers whose pay-rates are low. However, Western-style bukkake videos differ in some aspects from those in Japan; in Japanese bukkake videos, female performers are frequently dressed as office ladies or in school uniforms and depicted in subdued poses, whereas women in Western-style bukkake videos are portrayed as enjoying the scene. Another Japanese variant of bukkake is gokkun, in which several men ejaculate into a container for the receiver to drink. Bukkake is less popular than some other porn niches in the West, possibly because the implicit subordination of the woman does not appeal to many consumers, and because cum shots are normally the climax of a scene, rather than the main events.
The genre has also spread to gay pornography, featuring scenes in which several men ejaculate on another man. "Lesbian bukkake" videos are also produced. The 17th World Congress of Sexology in Montreal in July 2005 included a presentation on bukkake.
Male viewers' motivation
American editor and publisher Russ Kick, quoting a sexologist, states that men enjoy a "sense of closure and finality about sex", something that watching other men ejaculate provides. The viewer identifies with the ejaculating men, experiencing a sense of vicarious pleasure. According to English–American anti-pornography campaigner Gail Dines, the ejaculate on the female performer's body "also marks the woman as used goods", conveying a sense of ownership; she quotes veteran American porn actor and producer Bill Margold stating: "I'd like to really show what I believe the men want to see: violence against women. I firmly believe that we serve a purpose by showing that. The most violent we can get is the cum shot in the face. Men get off behind that because they get even with the women they can't have."
A number of authors have described bukkake as premised on humiliation. Forensic psychologist Karen Franklin has described bukkake as symbolic group rape, characterising its primary purpose as the humiliation, degradation and objectification of women. Lisa Jean Moore and Juliana Weissbein view the use of ejaculation in bukkake as part of a humiliation ritual, noting that it generally does not involve any of the female participants experiencing orgasm. Feminist anti-pornography activist Gail Dines describes the money shot of a man ejaculating on the face or body of a woman, taken to a new extreme in bukkake through the involvement of multiple men, as "one of the most degrading acts in porn".
Tristan Taormino, feminist author and sex educator, has likened bukkake to a "gay circle jerk", noting the inconsistency between its billing as a heterosexual practice and the fact that it features a group of naked men standing in close proximity to each other, masturbating together.
Phillip Vannini, associate professor in the School of Communication and Culture at Royal Roads University, quotes "self-proclaimed net sex commentator" George Kranz, who views recent American interpretations of bukkake as a "significant advance in human behaviour", emphasising the lively, almost party-like atmosphere of American bukkake videos compared to the more subdued Japanese style.
- "bukkake". Oxford Dictionaries. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 7 September 2015.
- Paul, Pamela (8 August 2006). Pornified: How Pornography Is Damaging Our Lives, Our Relationships, and Our Families. Owl Books. p. 61. ISBN 978-0-8050-8132-9.
- Eric Partridge; Tom Dalzell; Terry Victor (2006). The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English: A-I. Taylor & Francis. p. 288. ISBN 0-415-25937-1.
- Tom Dalzell (2008). The Routledge Dictionary of Modern American Slang and Unconventional English. Taylor & Francis. p. 138. ISBN 0-415-37182-1.
- Alba H. Gonzalez Reyes (January–March 2003). "La pornografia: ficcion y violencia sim sobre los cuerpos" [Pornography: Fiction and Symbolic Violence Against the Female Body] (PDF). La Palabra y el Hombre (The Word and the Man) (in Spanish). Veracruz: University of Veracruz (125): 81. ISSN 0185-5727. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-22. Retrieved 13 October 2010.
La internet ofrece acceso gratuito a galerías de pornografía digital ... Voyeuristas que buscan desde las perversiones tradicionales ... hasta la existencia de prácticas y formas grotescas de escenificación sexual: ...bukkake, una práctica que consiste en que una mujer recibe en el rostro chorros de semen de decenas de hombres.
- Paul Baker (29 April 2004). Fantabulosa: The Dictionary of Polari and Gay Slang. Continuum International Publishing Group. p. 90. ISBN 978-0-8264-7343-1. Retrieved 17 February 2011.
While the original bukkake films featured Japanese women, the term has crossed over into gay pornography.
- Russ Kick (1 October 2005). Everything you know about sex is wrong: the Disinformation guide to the extremes of human sexuality (and everything in between) / edited by Russ Kick. The Disinformation Company. p. 98. ISBN 978-1-932857-17-7. Retrieved 18 February 2011.
... bukkake porn, in which many men come on camera, masturbating onto the face or body of a woman or another man.
- "The (Almost) Complete Japanzine Dictionary of Japan Sex". seekjapan.jp. Archived from the original on 2 February 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2016.
- Moore, Lisa Jean; Weissbein, Julianna (2010), "Cocktail parties: fetishizing semen in pornography beyond bukkake", in Boyle, Karen, Everyday pornography, London New York: Routledge, p. 77, ISBN 9780415543781. Preview.
- "ぶち【打ち】". Shogakukan. Archived from the original on 4 August 2009. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- Xeni Jardin (4 December 2004). "Fix for Japan Pop-Culture Addicts". Wired. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Registered Trademark" (in Japanese). shuttle-japan.com. Retrieved 2010-07-09.
- Pp. 31–37 My, My American Bukkake by Susannah Breslin in Greta Christina, Daniel Clowes, Best Erotic Comics 2008, illustrated edition, Last Gasp, 2007. ISBN 0-86719-686-6.
- Lisa Z. Sigel (2005). International exposure: perspectives on modern European pornography, 1800–2000. Rutgers University Press. p. 189. ISBN 0-8135-3519-0.
- Tyler, Megan (2010), ""Now, that's pornography!": violence and domination in Adult Video News", in Boyle, Karen, Everyday pornography, London New York: Routledge, p. 56, ISBN 9780415543781. Preview.
- Jerry Hopkins (26 December 2006). Asian Aphrodisiacs: From Bangkok to Beijing--the Search for the Ultimate Turn-on. Tuttle Publishing. p. 229. ISBN 978-0-7946-0396-0. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- Phillip Vannini (2004). "Così Fan Tutti: Foucault, Goffman, and the Pornographic Synopticon". In Dennis D. Waskul. Net.seXXX: Readings on Sex, Pornography, and the Internet. Peter Lang. p. 79. ISBN 978-0-8204-7072-6. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- Gail Dines (1 July 2010). Pornland: How Porn Has Hijacked Our Sexuality. Beacon Press. p. xix. ISBN 978-0-8070-4452-0. Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- Ashley Blue (Director) (2004). Lesbian Bukkake (VHS and DVD). JM Productions. Retrieved 2007-04-20.
- Sargeant, Jack (November 2006). "Filth and Sexual Excess: Some Brief Reflections on Popular Scatology". Media and Culture Journal. 9 (5). Retrieved 2007-04-19.
- Bake a Cake? Exposing the Sexual Practice of Bukkake. Hudson, Jeff; Doong, Nicholas. XVII World Congress of Sexology, Montreal, Canada.
- Gail Dines (1 July 2010). Pornland: How Porn Has Hijacked Our Sexuality. Beacon Press. p. xxiv. ISBN 978-0-8070-4452-0. Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- Franklin, Karen (April 2004). "Enacting Masculinity: Antigay Violence and Group Rape as Participatory Theater". Sexuality Research and Social Policy. California State Press. 1 (2): 25–40. doi:10.1525/srsp.2004.1.2.25. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- Moore, Lisa (1 July 2007). Sperm Counts: Overcome by Man's Most Precious Fluid. NY: NYU Press. p. 256. ISBN 978-0-8147-5718-5.
- Taormino, Tristan (13 March 2001). "Eminem Is My Bitch". The Village Voice.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bukkake.|