|• Mayor||Figen Yaşar (BDP)|
|• Kaymakam||Fatih Aksoy|
|• District||1,688.51 km2 (651.94 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,480 m (4,860 ft)|
|• District density||50/km2 (130/sq mi)|
Bulanık, (Kurdish: Kop), and (Armenian: Կոփ/Kop) is a town and district of Muş Province in the Eastern Anatolia region of Turkey. The current mayor is Figen Yaşar (BDP). He is under governor (in Turkish: Kaymakam) Ferit Görükmez.
Bulanık correspond to the old Armenian town of Kop' (Armenian: Կոփ), known as a center of a district of a Hark' in a north-eastern part of Historical Armenia's Turuberan province. The earliest record of Kop is found in the 995 encyclical from the Armenian Vandir monastery under the name Koghb, which was later distorted.
Bulanık means "blurred" in Turkish which is a cite for Murat River. After the Battle of Manzikert in 1071, the Turkmen tribes (such as Bayat, Eymür and Bayındır) settled in Bulanık. Today, Kurds are the majority. Before the 1915 events, there was an Armenian majority, which was later replaced by Turks (in addition to local Turkmens, Bulanık took a lot of Turkic emigrants such as Meskhetians and Qarapapaq Turks. These Muhacirs' first came with Russo-Turkish War and continued to came during Republic era). and Kurds (Kurds slightly came there with the policies of Abdülhamid, but after the genocide, most of Kurdish tribes in Southeastern Turkey settled in the area and the land was abandoned by majority of Armenians).
Bulanık's (Kop) population engaged in agriculture (mostly Armenians), animal husbandry (especially in Turkmens, it was common), carpentry, blacksmithing, shoe making, pottery, sewing, folk medicine and bakery. This small town was famous for its cultural Armenian feasts and rituals: Kaghand (Armenian: Կաղանդ) (correspond to New Year) Tznndyan Ton (Armenian: Ծննդեան տոն) (correspond to Christmas) Terndez (Armenian: Տերնդեզ) Surp Sargis (Armenian: Սուրբ Սարգիս) Barekendanq (Armenian: Բարեկենդանք) (corresponds to Easter) Dzhodzh Pas(Armenian: Ջոջ Պաս) Aghbrgir or Avetarani Quyrer (Armenian: Աղբրգիր) or (Armenian: Ավետարանի Քույրեր) Hambardzum or Hampartsum (Armenian: Համբարձում) Vardevar (Armenian: Վարդեւար) Astvatzatzin yev Surb Khach (Armenian: Աստվածածին եւ Սուրբ Խաչ)
- Rasho Melk'on (Armenian: Ռաշո Մելքոն) (Melk'on Movsissian) - mayor of Kop', legendary figure organized migration Armenians to "Russian" Armenia before entering of Turkish troops in the city. Contemporaries say he had sworn to leave the city at last turn, but unfortunately he was killed at the threshold of his home during the Armenian genocide.
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Prothero, W.G. (1920). Armenia and Kurdistan. London: H.M. Stationery Office. p. 60.
- Prothero, W.G. (1920). Armenia and Kurdistan. London: H.M. Stationery Office. p. 74.
|This geographical article about a location in Muş Province, Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|