|Part of a series on|
The number of Bulgarians outside Bulgaria has sharply increased since 1989, following the collapse of the communism in Central and Eastern Europe. Over one million Bulgarians have left the country, either permanently or as temporary workforce, leading to a marked decline in its population. Many took advantage of the US green card lottery system (people applied for tickets, they did not purchase them). Also many Bulgarians immigrated to Canada using the advantage of the Canadian immigration point system for skilled workers. Others went across the European Union. In countries such as Greece and Spain many Bulgarians work and stay there intermittently while retaining Bulgaria as their permanent residence, especially after the country became a European Union member state in 2007.
Most of the causes for the spread of the post-1990s Bulgarian diaspora throughout the EU member states and Northern America (USA and Canada) have been related to work and education. Therefore, the majority of the emigrants have been allowed residence in other countries on skilled worker or student basis. That includes people of various skills - lower education workers (which usually deal with utilities and housekeeping) plumbers, construction workers, gardeners, handymen, maids, as well as a substantial amount of higher-education specialists - usually from the areas of engineering, computer science, chemistry and medicine.
The numbers of Bulgarians living abroad has been reported in vastly different numbers by varying groups such as the government and various NGOs, leading to some criticism.
Distribution by country
- List of Bulgarians
- Bulgarian Americans
- Bulgarian Canadians
- Bulgarians in South America
- Bulgarian Australian
- Bulgarians in Serbia
- Banat Bulgarians
- Bessarabian Bulgarians
- Macedonian Bulgarians
- Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Diocese of the USA, Canada and Australia
- "How Many Bulgarians Migrate? No One Knows". Retrieved 2018-03-22.
- Брой на българските граждани в чужбина (2011 г.) | www.EuroChicago.com - The Bulgarian Media Portal in Chicago
- "National Institute of Statistics of Spain - 2011 Census" (PDF). ine.es. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- "Ausländische Bevölkerung. Ergebnisse des Ausländerzentralregisters" (in German). Statistisches Bundesamt. 2016. p. 37. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- "Estimated population resident in the United Kingdom, by foreign country of birth (Table 1.3)". Office for National Statistics. September 2009. Archived from the original on 2011-01-22. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- Statistics Canada. "2011 National Household Survey: Data tables". Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Serbian 2011 census".
- CBS 
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2015-08-14.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Внук на нашенски емигрант ни представя в Уругвай". monitor.bg. Archived from the original on 2012-09-04.
- "??????? ????? - Държавата се е "самоотстранила" от българския национален въпрос (отпечатване)". vestnikataka.com.
- (in Latvian) Latvijas iedzīvotāju sadalījums pēc nacionālā sastāva un valstiskās piederības
- "Qatar´s population by nationality - bq magazine". Archived from the original on 2014-12-21. Retrieved 2014-12-21.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-01-06. Retrieved 2015-12-02.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Национален статистически институт - Преброяване 2011