||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2014)|
|Industry||Computer software, Computer Security, Security software, Antivirus, Mobile Security|
|Founded||Copenhagen, Denmark 2001|
|Founder||Morten Lund and Theis Søndergaard|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Slogan||Safe. Simple. BullGuard.|
BullGuard is a global, privately held software company in the internet and mobile security market. Its product portfolio features internet security solutions for home users and small businesses, including award-winning antivirus and antiphishing tools, parental controls for PC and mobile devices, as well as PC and mobile backup software. The company has offices in the UK, Denmark, Romania, Sweden, Belgium, Germany, Australia and the US.
BullGuard was founded in 2002 by two Danish entrepreneurs, Morten Lund and Theis Søndergaard. Their aim was to create a powerful PC internet security suite that included all the security features necessary to protect the home and small business user. Since then the company’s guiding principle is to develop security tools that are not only easy to use for an average user but also include the most advanced security technologies possible, whether this is helping to protect children online or creating multi-layered defences to guard against all forms of malware attack. The first version of the company’s flagship product, BullGuard Internet Security, was launched in June 2002. By 2009, BullGuard’s products had gained mass adoption around the world with Internet Security gaining particular prominence in the UK market.
In 2008, BullGuard partnered with SteelSeries to introduce advanced security for gamers. As a result, BullGuard Gamer’s Edition was the world’s first internet security product specifically developed for gamers. It ensured they had the security they needed and it didn’t impact on the computer’s performance. Similarly, in February 2011, BullGuard partnered with Juniper Networks to co-brand the BullGuard Mobile Security 10 based on Junos Pulse Mobile Security Suite, Juniper's security software suite for mobile devices. BullGuard is also a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner and an OPSWAT Certified Partner, with both OPSWAT Gold Certified Antivirus and OPSWAT Mobile Certified Android certifications.
BullGuard’s flagship product is BullGuard Internet Security, an all-in-one internet security suite. The original launch included antivirus, firewall and online backup features. Since then it has developed significantly as threat levels have increased and attack vectors evolved. It incorporates security features such as a multi-layered defense system, including both behavioural detection and signature-based detection technologies, improved parental control. The product is compatible with Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP (SP2 minimum), and is available in English, Swedish, German, Norwegian, French, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Danish, Portuguese and Chinese.
BullGuard Identity Protection monitors the web, social networks and dark web where personal data is traded. It searches for private information ranging from credit and debit cards to bank account numbers email and postal addresses, usernames and passwords. This is the type of information generally stolen by hackers and then offered for sale on the dark web. If the details are discovered BullGuard Identity Protection immediately alerts the owners via SMS or email. Identity Protection also includes social media protection. It permits parents to discreetly monitor children’s Facebook accounts for ‘suspicious’ behaviour, to protect against cyber bullying, and guard against exposure to inappropriate content and potential predators.
BullGuard Premium Protection is the most advanced product from BullGuard. It incorporates all the different BullGuard protection components into one software security suite, ranging from identity protection, parental controls and social media protection to antivirus, PC tune-up and back-up.
BullGuard Antivirus incorporates the same antivirus engine as BullGuard Internet Security. Based on behavioural detection and signature-based detection technologies it also includes safe browsing and anti-spam protection.
Mobile Internet Security
BullGuard Mobile Security supports the widely used Android operating system. A web-based interface provides remote access to a user’s device, lock, wipe, backup functions and SIM card protection, alarm, and GPS functions.
BullGuard Online Backup is a remote backup service that stores important files in an offsite facility.
BullGuard Mobile Backup is for mobile users’ backup and data migration needs. The app supports Android, iOS, Symbian and BlackBerry operating systems and enables backup and restoration of contacts, photos, text messages, MMS, calendar, music, videos, ringtones, user settings, selected files and folders.
Reviews and tests
BullGuard’s Internet Security and Antivirus products are certified by independent testing bodies VB100, AV-Comparatives and AV-Test.
- June 2007 - BullGuard gained the VB100 award for 17 out of 19 Virus Bulletin tests.
- June 2011 - BullGuard’s Antivirus product was a top three (out of 43 products) with a result of 97.7% in the RAP (reactive and proactive) tests.
- July 2012 to February 2013 - BullGuard Antivirus maintained a top position in the latest VB100 chart covering the RAP averages.
- May/June 2012- In tests conducted by AV-Test BullGuard Internet Security 12 obtained 6/6 points in ‘protection’ against malware infections, while in ‘repair’ it scored 4/6 and in ‘usability’ 5.5 out of 6.
- August/November 2012 - In the ‘Real-World Protection Test’ BullGuard Internet Security 2013 achieved a 98.6% protection score and Advanced+ Certification .
- 2012 - BullGuard Internet Security and BullGuard Antivirus participated in several tests conducted by AV-Comparatives, along with other security products on the market. It gained a series of AV-Comparatives certifications, including Windows 8 approval .
- 2012 - Test results and certifications gained throughout 2012 brought BullGuard AV-Comparatives’ Top-Rated Award, propelling it into the top four.
- ‘Good Editor’ rating awarded to BullGuard Internet Security 2013 from PC Magazine’s Neil Rubenking.
- First in TopTen REVIEWS’ ‘2013 Best Mobile Security Software Comparisons and Reviews’ chart for BullGuard Mobile Security 
- January 2012 and 2013 - Best Buy award from Which? for BullGuard Internet Security 
After being criticized in July 2011  as being unresponsive, support was made available 24/7 on telephone, e-mail, and Livechat. The chat support tool enables BullGuard specialists to receive and process customer questions in real time, as well as send guides, screenshots and transcripts of the advice given.
On 20 March 2010, computers running BullGuard under 64 bit versions of Windows were affected by a malfunctioning update which classified every executable program as well as dll files as infected. These files were all marked as 'Trojan.FakeAlert.5' and were moved into quarantine. This action led to software and systems malfunctions that affected users around the world.
- Comparison of antivirus software
- Firewall software
- Internet Security
- Comparison of computer viruses
- "BullGuard Internet Security 2013".
- "BullGuard Mobile Security".
- "BullGuard Antivirus 2013".
- "BullGuard Online Backup".
- "BullGuard Mobile Backup".
- "(german) Interview with Morten Lund in Brandeins".
- "BullGuard Internet Security 8.5 review".
- "BullGuard Teams with SteelSeries to Introduce Advanced Security for Gamers".
- "BULLGUARD DELIVERS JUNIPER NETWORKS JUNOS PULSE MOBILE SECURITY SUITE TO CONSUMERS".
- "OPSWAT Certification-Certified Products".
- "Bullguard Internet Security 2014 review - full-featured security software offers robust protection".
- "BullGuard Identity Protection safeguards your personal data".
- Rubenking, Neil J. "BullGuard Internet Security 2013". PC Magazine.
- "Best Mobile Security Software Comparisons and Reviews".
- "Which? Magazine awards BullGuard Internet Security 12 Best Buy".
- "BullGuard Resolves Customer Service Issue".
- "BitDefender update wipes Windows 64-bit".