|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Other names||Aussie Pig Dog|
|Domestic dog (Canis lupus familiaris)|
The Bull Arab is an Australian dog. The Bull Arab was developed in the mid 1970s. Different breeds were crossed together to strive for the ultimate working dog. It is not yet a registry-recognised breed of dog in Australia.
History and use
There is some debate about the origins of the breed, but one of the more plausible and well received accounts is that the Bull Arab was developed in the 1970s by Mike Hodgens, and is a cross between a Bull Terrier, Greyhound, and German Shorthaired Pointer. Originally they were 50% Bull Terrier, to add tenacity and bite strength, 25% Greyhound for speed, sight and athleticism, and 25% German Shorthaired Pointer for air scenting ability, intelligence and silence whilst hunting. Some believe English Pointer was used instead of German Shorthaired Pointer and Saluki (hence the name Arab) instead of Greyhound. Some lines include 12.5% Bloodhound blood to add stamina and tracking ability, this strain is often called the Paulsen Bull Arab after Peter Paulsen its creator.
Bull Arabs were originally bred for hunting purposes and were specially developed to pull pigs to the ground and hold them by the ear. Like many other breeds of dogs Bull Arabs are now highly valued as superbly loyal family dogs.
Several attacks on people in several states of Australia have been allegedly attributed to the breed. Reports supplied by 80 New South Wales councils and passed on to the Department of Local Government, between 1 July 2005 and 30 October 2006, detail several attacks attributed to Bull Arabs, yet show many other breeds with a greater number of attacks.
- Boardogs, Bull Arabs, boardogs.com Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Klement Bull Arabs, History of Bull Arabs, klement.com.au Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Spartan dogs, Bull Arab Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- QLD Times: Dogs seized after attack Retrieved 2010-6-2
- SMH: Girl mauled by neighbour's dog Retrieved 2010-6-2
- 9 News: Vicious dog pack attacks postal worker Archived July 6, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2010-6-2
- Daily Telegraph: Most dangerous dogs in NSW Retrieved 2010-6-2