|Birth name||Richard Gland|
September 17, 1933|
Delaware, United States
|Died||September 15, 1997(aged 63)|
|Cause of death||Complications from hip surgery|
|Spouse(s)||Susan Gland (his death)|
|Professional wrestling career|
|Ring name(s)||Bulldog Brower
|Billed height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Billed weight||270 lb (120 kg; 19 st)|
Professional wrestling career
Gland started his career in the Delaware territory in the late 1950s under the ring name the Delaware Destroyer. In 1961, Brower traveled to Canada to wrestle for Stu Hart in his wrestling promotion Stampede Wrestling. After his run in Stampede Wrestling, Brower wrestled for Frank Tunney in Toronto. There, Brower won the NWA International Tag Team Championship (Toronto version) five times.
Brower then traveled to Puerto Rico, where he competed for the World Wrestling Council (WWC). In WWC, he won the NWA North American Tag Team Championship (Puerto Rico/WWC version).
Brower also wrestled for National Wrestling Federation (NWF), where he won the NWF North American Heavyweight Championship. Brower went on to wrestle for another wrestling promotion this time World Championship Wrestling (Australia) where he won the NWA Austra-Asian Heavyweight Championship. He wrestled for the short-lived International Wrestling Association in the New York City area, where he was recognized as North American Champion, feuding with Johnny Powers and Mighty Igor.
He retired from professional wrestling in the late 1980s. During his career Brower faced wrestlers such as Bruno Sammartino, Johnny Valentine, Mil Máscaras, Tiger Jeet Singh, Bob Backlund, Whipper Watson, The Sheik, The Fabulous Kangaroos, Johnny Powers, Spiros Arion, Bobby Duncum, Sr., and Ernie Ladd.
After living with diabetes, Gland died in September 1997 from complications from hip surgery. At the time of his death, Gland was married to Susan and had two daughters and a son, as well as four grandchildren.
Championships and accomplishments
- International Wrestling Association
- Maple Leaf Wrestling
- National Wrestling Federation
- World Class Championship Wrestling
- World Championship Wrestling (Australia)
- World Wrestling Council
- "Dick 'The Bulldog' Brower". SLAM! Wrestling. Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved December 8, 2009.
- "Wrestler Profiles: Dick "The Bulldog" Brower". Online World of Wrestling. Retrieved July 22, 2010.
- Cole, Glenn (September 17, 1997). "Bulldog Brower a legend". Toronto Sun. Retrieved December 8, 2009.
- Royal Duncan & Gary Will (2000). Wrestling Title Histories (4th ed.). Archeus Communications. ISBN 0-9698161-5-4.
- Brower at Online World of Wrestling