|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008)|
A bulldog clip is a device for temporarily but firmly binding sheets of paper together. It consists of a rectangular sheet of springy steel curved into a cylinder, with two flat steel strips inserted to form combined handles and jaws. The user presses the two handles together, causing the jaws to open against the force of the spring, then inserts a stack of papers and releases the handles. The spring forces the jaws together, gripping the papers firmly.
A Bulldog clip combined with a suitable piece of board makes a clipboard.
History and trademark
BULLDOG is a registered trademark of Brandsley Limited which is licensed to Faire Bros & Co Limited. Its registration as a trademark in the United Kingdom dates back to 1944.
Bulldog clips have many uses, domestic, industrial and in arts and crafts.
A novel use for this product is to use it as a wire guide at a computer station for example. The clip can be clamped onto the edge of a desk and computer cables can be threaded through the holes on the end of the tip. This helps the user organize wires and prevents them from falling back behind the desk.
Another use is for resealing an opened bag of food to keep it fresh longer.
Bulldog clips can be used to make a fast release mechanism for theatre "drops".
A clip can be used to angle a knife for sharpening.
- Chris Webster (2005). Animation: The Mechanics of Motion 1. p. 10. ISBN 0240516664.
- Jennifer Claydon (2009). Spin Dye Stitch: How to Create and Use Your Own Yarns. North Light Books. p. 88. ISBN=9781600611551. Section warping with Bulldog clips.
- Technical Design Solutions for Theatre: The Technical Brief Collection 1. Ben Sammler, Don Harvey (editors). Taylor & Francis. 2013. p. 91. ISBN 9781136081651.
- Dorothy E. Penso (2013). Keyboard, Graphic and Handwriting Skills: Helping people with motor disabilities. p. 81. ISBN 1489931627.
- Phil West (2014). Survival Weapons: Optimizing Your Arsenal. Lulu.com. p. 222. ISBN 9781291460988.
- Bulldog clip, dictionary.reference.com
- How to pronounce bulldog clip in UK and Us English, dictionary.cambridge.org
- How to make a BULLDOG CLIP PHONE TRIPOD, YouTube, June 12, 2015
|This product article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|