Bulldogs are a type of dog that were traditionally used for the blood sports of baiting and dog fighting, but today are kept for other purposes, including companion dogs, guard dogs and catch dogs. Bulldogs are typically stocky, powerful, square-built animals with large, strong, brachycephalic-type muzzles. It is believed bulldogs were developed during the 16th century in the Elizabethan era from the larger mastiffs, as smaller, more compact dogs were better suited for baiting.
List of bulldog breeds
- Alano Español (Spanish Bulldog)
- Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog
- American Bulldog
- Campeiro Bulldog
- Continental Bulldog
- French Bulldog
- Olde English Bulldogge
- Perro de Presa Mallorquin
- Serrano Bulldog
Old English Bulldog in Paris, 1863
- Beaufoy, James, Staffordshire Bull Terriers: a practical guide for owners and breeders, Ramsbury, Wiltshire: The Crowood Press Ltd., 2016, ISBN 9781785000973.
- Hancock, David, The mastiffs: the big game hunters, their history, development & future, Charwynne Dog Features, 2001, ISBN 9780951780114.
- Zarley, B. David, "Your Yorkie Was a Killing Machine", Vice, 22 November 2017. Retrieved 22 October 2019.
- Fogle, Bruce (2009). The encyclopedia of the dog. New York: DK Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7566-6004-8.
- Drury, W.D., British dogs, their points, selection, and show preparation, London: L.U. Gill, C. Scribner's sons, 1903.
- Confederação Brasileira de Cinofilia, "Buldogue Campeiro" (in Portuguese), cbkc.org, 28 January 2019. Retrieved 8 November 2019.
- Verband für das Deutsche Hundewesen, "Continental bulldog" (in German), vdh.de. Retrieved 8 November 2019.
- Confederação Brasileira de Cinofilia, "Buldogue Serrano" (in Portuguese), cbkc.org, 12 August 2009. Retrieved 8 November 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bulldog type.|
- Brearley, Joan McDonald (1985). The Book of the Bulldog. Neptune, NJ: TFH Publications. ISBN 0-86622-027-5.
- Jenkins, Robert; Ken Mollett (1997). The Story of the Real Bulldog. Neptune, NJ: TFH Publications. ISBN 0-7938-0491-4.
- Zwettler, Marlene (2013). The Great Book of Bulldogs, Bull Terrier and Molosser. Amazon Digital Services. ISBN 9783844239225.