|Country of origin||United States|
|Alcohol by volume||45%|
|Color||Russet (dark brown)|
Bulleit Bourbon is a brand of Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey produced at the Kirin Brewing Company Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, for the Diageo beverage conglomerate. It is characterized by a high rye content for a bourbon (at approximately 28% of the mash bill) and being aged at least six years. It is bottled at 45% abv (90 proof) for the US, Canadian, British, Dutch and Mexican markets. For Australian and Danish markets, it is bottled at 40% abv. It is also sold in Germany, Norway and Sweden.
In the U.S. and other markets, Bulleit also offers a rye whiskey.
According to Tom Bulleit, son of a preacher, great-great-grandson of original creator Augustus Bulleit and developer of the modern brand, the first batch of Bulleit bourbon was made around 1830. Augustus continued to produce it up until his death in 1860. The current recipe is substantially different from the whiskey produced by Augustus Bulleit, which used a mash bill of about two-thirds rye and one-third corn (which would make it a rye whiskey today, not a bourbon).
Diageo acquired various Seagram's assets, including the Bulleit brand, which was then produced by its subsidiary Kirin Brewing Company at the same Lawrenceburg plant, then known as the Four Roses distillery.
On March 14, 2017, Diageo opened a new Bulleit distillery. The 300-acre (120 ha) $115 million facility is located just east of Shelbyville in Shelby County, Kentucky. It is designed to eventually operate at a peak capacity of 1.8 million proof gallons annually.
In June 2019, Bulleit opened its visitors' center at its Shelbyville distillery in Kentucky. The Visitor Experience includes guided tours, a cocktail bar and an opportunity for visitors 21 years or older to design a customized Bulleit label to apply to their own bottles.
In 2017, Hollis Bulleit, daughter to Tom Bulleit, left her position at Diageo after working 25 years to promote the Bulleit brand. She alleges that she was pushed out because she is a lesbian. A spokesperson from Diageo denies the claim.
On June 8th, 2019, Hollis B Worth (formerly Hollis Bulleit) posted a photo on Facebook of her and her wife with a lengthy overview of why she left Bulleit, alleging homophobia from her father. The post makes further allegations on her being cut out of royalties that Tom had worked with Hollis on during contract negotiations.
Bulleit Bourbon Barrel Strength is a blend of barrels which are 5 to 8 years old. As it is being bottled straight from the barrel the ABV varies by batch, ranging from 118-125 (59 to 62.5 ABV).
Bulleit Bourbon 10 Year is the only age dated Bulleit whiskey. It is bottled at 91.2 U.S. proof and has the same mash bill as the original Bulleit Bourbon. It won a Double Gold Medal at the 2013 San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
In Australia and the UK
Starting in 2008, Bulleit bourbon sold on the UK market is bottled at 40% alcohol by volume, which is re-exported to the Australia market. A 45% ABV version was introduced to the UK market in late 2014, under the label "Bulleit Frontier Whiskey".
Proof66.com, a review aggregator for spirits, rates Bulleit bourbon in the top 10th percentile of the world's best whiskeys. The Bulleit Rye Whiskey is also rated a "Top Tier Whiskey". Proof66.com rates Bulleit Bourbon 10 Year as a "Tier 1" spirit with an overall rating of 551/904.
- Bulleit Bourbon: The Most American of Spirits, Miller, accessed on 8 September 2007
- Diaego - Our brands - Whisk(e)y - Bulleit bourbon Archived February 16, 2011, at the Wayback Machine, accessed on 8 February 2011.
- Bulleit Kentucky Straight Bourbon, Vinmonopolet (in Norwegian).
- Bulleit Bourbon and Systembolaget, March 13, 2009.
- A Bourbon Tasting with Tom Bulleit, Sctoch Hobbyist's Blog, February 4, 2010.
- Bulleit Bourbon and Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon from Alcoholreviews.com, accessed on 8 September 2007
- About Bulleit Bourbon Archived July 23, 2015, at the Wayback Machine, accessed on 22 July 2015
- Havens, Sara (March 14, 2017). "Tom Bulleit celebrates birthday and two anniversaries by opening Bulleit Distilling Co. in Shelby County". Insider Louisville. Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- AP. "Bulleit opens visitors' center at Shelbyville distillery". www.wkyt.com. Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- Robertson, Michelle; SFGATE (2017-08-02). "Bulleit Bourbon maker responds to Hollis Bulleit's claims of discrimination". SFGate. Retrieved 2019-06-09.
- "Log In or Sign Up to View". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2019-06-09.
- Bulleit Whiskey Expands Through Introduction of Bulleit Rye, Diageo press release, PR Newswire, March 21, 2011.
- "Results Archive -- San Francisco World Spirits Competition". Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- The Distinction[permanent dead link], official website.
- Austin Hartman, Booze Review: Bulleit 95 Rye, Greenpoint Gazette, March 27, 2011.
- Felten, Eric. "Your 'Craft' Whiskey Is Probably From a Factory Distillery in Indiana". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Proof66.com awards summary page for Bulleit Bourbon". Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- "Proof66.com awards summary page for Bulleit Rye Whiskey". Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- "Bulleit 10yr Frontier Whiskey Bourbon". Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-10-07. Retrieved 2013-11-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Murphy, Morgan; Editors of Southern Living magazine (2014). Southern Living Bourbon & Bacon: The Ultimate Guide to the South's Favorite Foods. Oxmoor House. ISBN 978-0848743161.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)