Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Tigmanshu Dhulia|
|Produced by||Rahul Mittra
Nitin Tej Ahuja
|Written by||Tigmanshu Dhulia
|Screenplay by||Tigmanshu Dhulia
|Story by||Tigmanshu Dhulia
|Starring||Saif Ali Khan
|Cinematography||P. S. Vinod|
|Edited by||Rahul Srivastava|
BrandSmith Motion Pictures
|Distributed by||Fox Star Studios|
Bullett Raja is a 2013 Hindi action film co-written and directed by Tigmanshu Dhulia and produced by Rahul Mittra, Nitin Tej Ahuja and Tigmanshu Dhulia, under the banner of BrandSmith Motion Pictures and Moving Pictures. The film is presented by Fox Star Studios. The film features Saif Ali Khan, Sonakshi Sinha and Jimmy Shergill in leading roles, whilst Chunky Pandey, Ravi Kishan, Gulshan Grover, Raj Babbar and Vidyut Jamwal feature in pivotal roles. The film is set against the backdrop of Uttar Pradesh-based mafia while dealing with the political and industrial powers of the State.It was the opening film at the 8th annual Mosaic International South Asian Film Festival (MISAFF) 2014 in Toronto. The film released on 29 November 2013.
Raja Mishra (Saif Ali Khan) gatecrashes into a marriage while trying to escape from a brawl. The bride's cousin, Rudra Tripathi (Jimmy Shergill), and Raja form a friendship upon Raja revealing that he is a uninvited guest. While in process of seducing the mujra dancer, Raja overhears a plot by Lallan Tiwari (Chunky Pandey) to execute everyone in the wedding upon instructions from a land lord wanting to use Rudra's uncle's land for poppy farming. Raja warns everyone about the impending attack and Raja and Rudra fight off the attacking Lallan Singh's gang. Rudra's uncle (Sharat Saxena) sees the potential in Raja and Rudra forming an alliance for offering protection to political personalities and offers them to join his gang. Not wanting to enter the world of politics, they refuse and Rudra's uncle advices them to take refuge from Lallan's gang in jail. In a later incident Rudra's uncle is killed by the poppy field owner with help of Lallan Singh.
In jail, Raja and Rudra meet Shirivastav ji - a political advisor having knowledge of everything happening in UP politics. He arranges for Raja and Rudra to leave jail and avenge the death of Rudra's uncle by killing Lallan. Their success creates news in political circles and Shirivastav advises them to join hands with Ram Babu Shukla in order to take revenge against the poppy field owner.
They start working for Ram Babu Shukla (Raj Babbar), a politician, and in the process kill the poppy fields' owner, gain credibility and support in the political circles which brings them fortune and fame amongst youth. Their friendship and partnership is talk of the town making the otherwise preferred hitman Sumer Yadav rendering useless.
While representing Ram Babu Shukla in an important meeting Raja and Rudra are insulted by Bajaj (Gulshan Grover). In order to teach him a lesson Raja and Rudra kidnap Bajaj while he is in process of pretend interviewing a girl named Mitali (Sonakshi Sinha) for the role of actress. They extort money from Bajaj and in process Raja started to develop feelings for Mitali. On advice of Shukla, Raja, Rudra and Mitali go to Mumbai until matters settle and avoid any attacked from Bajaj. Raja proposes to Mitali and Rudra approves of their relationship. Later they return to UP and while Raja is getting his sister's engagement done, Bajaj arrives at their house with a shooter Sumer Yadav (Ravi Kishan) and kills Rudra.
Raja takes his revenge by killing Bajaj which turns all political and business fraternity against him. They all want him dead in order to gain Bajaj's money which is needed to fund their election campaigns but is being held by Shirivastav. They plot to kill him by appointing a police officer from Chambal, Arun Singh Munna (Vidyut Jamwal). Raja meanwhile moves to Kolkata with Mitali where their romance furthers. Upon returning from Kolkata, Raja finds Sumer and kills him in front of Arun and in the following fight spares Arun's life. A mole in Raja's gang (Gaurav Dixit), ordered by Shukla, plots to kill Raja. According to the plan, Arun will kill Raja, but then the mole will kill Arun to appease the youth that support Raja. Raja finds out about the plan and reveals it to Arun. Together, they kill the mole and fake Raja's death. In the end, it shows Raja leaving with Mitali for a new life and Arun is also shown to be leaving with them.
- Saif Ali Khan as Raja Mishra
- Sonakshi Sinha as Mitali
- Jimmy Shergill as Rudra Tripathi
- Vidyut Jamwal as SP Arun Singh Munna
- Chunky Pandey as Lallan Tiwari
- Ravi Kishan as Sumer Yadav
- Gulshan Grover as Financer Bajaj
- Raj Babbar as Minister Ram Babu Shukla
- Mahi Gill in a special appearance in song Don't Touch My Body
- Sharat Saxena as Rudra's uncle
- Vipin Sharma as Shirivastav ji - Political Advisor
- Deepraj Rana as Commissioner
- Gaurav Dixit as The Artist
- Dulal Lahiri as Mithali's father
- Rita Dutta Chakraborty as Mitali's mother
- Sudip Mukherjee as Goon
The film's proposed name was Jai Ram Ji Ki but on the suggestion of Saif Ali Khan it was named Bullett Raja to give it a more gangster feel. Sonakshi Sinha expressed excitement about working with Saif Ali Khan and called it a fresh pairing and joined the crew in February 2013. All male characters have grown a moustache to fit the role in the film. Earlier, actor Irrfan Khan was revealed to be a part of the film but he walked out because of hectic schedule and date clashes for his other projects. Later, he was replaced by martial artist turned actor Vidyut Jamwal. Jamwal decided to design his stunts himself and without any body double. Later,Gulshan Grover was hired to play a negative role as a powerful industrialist in the film. The first teaser of Soha Ali Khan's starrer film Mr Joe B. Carvalho and trailer of Dedh Ishqiya will be attached with Bullet Raja.
On 6 November 2012, the shooting of the film began in Lucknow, Raebareli, Kolkata and Mumbai were the other cities for filming later. The first leg of shooting came to an end in Lucknow on 10 December while the second leg began at Kolkata at around last week of February,2013. Both real and fake guns are used during shooting while Saif used real guns for realistic look. The actors shot in the Dalhousie area of central Kolkata and other locations such as Princep Ghat, Kumartuli, flower market and the famous Laha Bari. After completion of schedule in Kolkata,the crew turned back to Lucknow to resume and then to Nashik for the final leg of the shooting.
The film was released on 28 November 2013 in USA and on 29 November in India.
Faheem Ruhani of India Today gave 3.5 out of 5 stars to the film and said, "Bullet Raja's slogan claims 'aayenge toh garmi badyaenge.' To the film's credit it delivers what it promises." Sarita A Tanwar of Daily News and Analysis gave 3 of 5 stars to the film and said, "Watch it if you’re a fan of some edgy dialogues. As for the rest of it, you’ll want to rain bullets on this Raja".
Bulett raja worldwide distribution rights were sold for ₹90 crore (US$14 million) to Fox Star studios.Its Satellite Rights were sold for ₹40 crore (US$6.2 million).
Bullet Raja opened below average mark at the box office as it grossed around ₹65 million (US$1.0 million) on its opening day and ₹65 million (US$1.0 million) the second day. On the third day, it collected about ₹75 million (US$1.2 million) bringing up the total first weekend to ₹213 million (US$3.3 million) at the box office. The film grossed ₹303 million (US$4.7 million) in its first week. In overseas markets, Bullett Raja grossed $1.25 million in ten days.
|Soundtrack album by Sajid-Wajid
|Released||25 October 2013|
|Recorded||Geet Audio Craft Studio
Ashok Honda Studio
The soundtrack album was released on 25 October 2013 on ITunes consisting of 7 tracks composed by RDB and Sajid-Wajid and lyrics written by Sandeep Nath, Kausar Munir, Shabbir Ahmed and Raftaar.
|1.||"Tamanche Pe Disco"||Raftaar||RDB||RDB, Nindy Kaur & Raftaar||3:28|
|2.||"Saamne Hai Savera"||Kausar Munir||Sajid-Wajid||Wajid, Bonnie Chakraborty, Shreya Ghoshal||4:36|
|3.||"Jai Govinda Jai Gopala"||Shabbir Ahmed||Sajid-Wajid||Neeraj Shridhar||4:50|
|4.||"Don't Touch My Body"||Sandeep Nath||Sajid-Wajid||Mamta Sharma||4:48|
|5.||"Bullett Raja"||Kausar Munir||Sajid-Wajid||Wajid, Keerthi Sagathia||4:26|
|6.||"Satake Thoko"||Sandeep Nath||Sajid-Wajid||Wajid, Keerthi Sagathia, Danish Sabri||5:03|
|7.||"Jai Govinda Jai Gopala (Remix)"||Shabbir Ahmed||Sajid-Wajid||Neeraj Shridhar||3:27|
- "Dhulia’s 'Bullet Raja' shooting finally begins in Lucknow". timesofindia. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Saif Ali Khan’s Action Avatar In ‘Bullet Raja’". businessofcinema.
- "Release date". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Saif bags Bullet Raja". deccanchronicle. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "Saif suggests Bullet Raja title". timesofindia. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Sonakshi excited to work with Saif in Bullet Raja". hindustantimes. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Rishad Rizvi in Tigmanshu's 'Bullet Raja'". Timesofindia. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- "Irrfan Khan not in Bullet Raja?". 7 March 2013. "The Times of India".
- "John Abraham's opponent to display his martial arts skills". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 September 2011.
- "Vidyut replaces Irrfan in Bullet Raja". Bollywood Hungama News Network. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- "Vidyut to design his own stunts for Bullet Raja". IANS. "Hindustan Times". Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- "Gulshan Grover plays Mr. Bajaj in 'Bullet Raja'". Onkar Kulkarni. Indian Express. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- "Saif Ali Khan's BULLETT RAJA to introduce sis Soha's MR. JOE B. CARVALHO!".
- "New 'Dedh Ishqiya' trailer to be attached with 'Bullet Raja'".
- "Sonakshi to star opposite Saif in Bullet Raja". hindustantimes. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- "Bullet Raja: Kareena joins hubby Saif Ali Khan". timesofindia. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- "'Bullet Raja' team to wrap up first leg of shooting schedule". Timesofindia. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- "Bullet Raja: Saif-Sonakshi to shoot in Kolkata". timesofindia. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Real guns for Saif in 'Bullet Raja'". Timesofindia. Retrieved 25 December 2012.
- "‘Bullet Raja’: Saif Ali Khan, Sonakshi Sinha romance in Kolkata bylanes". zeenews. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Saif Ali Khan shoots for Bullet Raja in Lucknow, wife Kareena for Satygraha". Sarika Sharma. Indian Express'. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Saif Ali Khan shoots for Bullet Raja in Nashik". Gayatri Deshmukh. The Times of India. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Movie review: Bullett Raja delivers what it promises". 28 November 2013. India Today. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Film review: Watch 'Bullett Raja' if you're a fan of some edgy dialogues". 29 November 2013. DNA. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 25 December 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "iTunes - Music - Bullett Raja (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by RDB & Sajid - Wajid". Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Sajid Films | Films". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Bullett Raja (2013) | Movie Review, Trailers, Music Videos, Songs, Wallpapers". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 26 October 2013.