Bulman, Northern Territory
|Population||291 (2011 census)|
|LGA(s)||Roper Gulf Region|
Bulman is a cattle station town in the Northern Territory of Australia. Along with the Aboriginal community of Weemol, 5 km (3 mi) away, Bulman is considered a closed community and visitors require a permit from the Northern Land Council to transit or visit the town. The combined population of Bulman and Weemol at the 2011 census was 291 and is one of few significant settlements on the Central Arnhem Road between Katherine and Nhulunbuy. Facilities in the town include a school, health clinic, police station and an all weather airstrip.
Bulman is extremely isolated and during the wet season all access can be cut off, such as following Tropical Cyclone Paul in 2010, with the community having received 443 millimetres of rain in a 24-hour period, closing all roads out of town and the airport.
Actor Chris Hemsworth, who was born in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, lived both in that city and in Bulman. As he recalled, "My earliest memories were on the cattle stations up in the Outback, and then we moved back to Melbourne and then back out there and then back again. Certainly most of my childhood was in Melbourne but probably my most vivid memories were up there [in Bulman] with crocodiles and buffalo. Very different walks of life."
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Bulman-Weemol (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- Hema, Maps (2007). Australia Road and 4WD Atlas (Map). Eight Mile Plains Queensland: Hema Maps. p. 97. ISBN 978-1-86500-456-3.
- "Bulman and Weemol". Roper Gulf Regional Council. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- Bannister, Brooke (1 April 2010). "Bulman, NT. The wettest place in Australia". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- Lovece, Frank (29 September 2011). "Chris Hemsworth: Not a Thor Loser". FilmFestivalTraveler.com. Archived from the original on 8 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
|This Northern Territory geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|