Bumble Hole Local Nature Reserve
The Bushboil Arm - a canal branch inside the reserve
|Type||Local Nature Reserve|
|Operated by||Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council|
Bumble Hole Local Nature Reserve is situated in the Netherton area of Dudley Metropolitan Borough in the county of West Midlands, England. This former industrial area now features canals, ponds, grassland and wooded areas. The reserve lies adjacent to the Warren's Hall Local Nature Reserve (which is in Sandwell Metropolitan Borough). It was declared a local nature reserve in 1996.
The area comprising the Bumble Hole Local Nature Reserve and its neighbour, Warren's Hall Local Nature Reserve, once was a scene of industry, including coal mining, clay extraction, coke furnaces and boat building. A railway (known as the Bumble Hole Line) ran through the area, linking Dudley to Old Hill.
The reserve is located to the east of Netherton, about 1.5 miles south of Dudley, on the border with Sandwell Metropolitan Borough. Main access is via St Peter's Road, Netherton.
The reserve contains areas of grassland, small wooded regions, canals and ponds. The Dudley No. 2 Canal runs into the reserve. Two short arms lead off from this canal: the Bumble Hole Branch and the Bushboil Arm. Bumble Hole Lake, a former clay pit, forms the largest body of water in the reserve. There is no visible border with the neighboring Warren's Hall Local Nature Reserve, so the two reserves effectively form a single visitor attraction.
A canal-side visitor centre run by volunteers (the Bumble Hole Conservation Group), offers information on the reserve, as well as refreshments and toilet facilities. There is also a football pitch.
The reserve (plus the neighboring Warren's Hall Local Nature Reserve) is the site for an annual boating festival. The event attracts canal boats every September and features stalls, canal trips and a funfair.
- "Local Nature Reserves - Bumble Hole". www.lnr.naturalengland.org.uk. Natural England. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- "Countryside walks in Dudley - Bumble Hole". Dudley MBC. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "Local Nature Reserve - Warren's Hall Country Park". www.lnr.naturalengland.org.uk/. Natural England. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Bumble Hole centre opens again". Dudley News. Newsquest (Midlands South) Ltd. 19 November 2010. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Black Country Boating Festival 2015". www.bcbf.com. Black Country Boating Festival. Retrieved 23 October 2015.