Bump in the Night (TV series)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015)|
|Bump in the Night|
Musical (skits only)
Music (Mr. Bumpy Karaoke Cafe only)
Romance (Adventures in Microphobia, Love Stinks and Love's Labor Bumped only)
Game (Hide and Go Freak only)
|Created by||Ken Pontac
Jennifer Darling (6 episodes and 1 special)
E. G. Daily (2 episodes)
Anndi McAfee (8 episodes)
Gail Matthius (24 episodes and 1 special)
Scott McAffe (10 episodes)
Jeff Bennett (3 episodes)
April Winchell (2 episodes)
Janice Kawaye (3 episodes)
Danny Mann (1 episode and 1 special)
Gilbert Gottfried (1 episode)
Valery Pappas (5 episodes and 1 special)
Mary McDonald Lewis (4 episodes)
Brad Garrett (1 episode)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||27 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||7 minutes
10 minuutes (I Dream of Silverfish only)
8 minutes (Story Problems only)
|Original release||September 10, 1994 – December 9, 1995|
Bump in the Night is an animated series by Danger Productions that was filmed using stop-motion animation and aired on ABC from 1994 to 1995. It was created and directed by Ken Pontac and David Bleiman. The series was then broadcast on Toon Disney from 1998 to 2001.
Mr. Bumpy is a small green, purple-warted monster living under the bed of a ten-year-old boy, where he eats dirty socks and dust bunnies as if they were delicacies. His best friends are Squishington, a blue monster that lived in the bathroom's toilet tank; and Molly Coddle, a Frankenstein's monster-like rag doll belonging to the boy's sister who acts as the straight man to the other's crazy antics.
Other characters include Destructo, the boy's toy robot who sees himself as a cop and persecutes Mr. Bumpy for his actions. There's also the Closet Monster, who's made up of the boy's pile of clothes and chases after Mr. Bumpy.
The show was traditionally split into two major parts per half hour (occasionally dedicating a full half hour per show, or sometimes splitting into three parts), and usually if not always had a music video at the end of the episode, starring the three main characters and any minor characters involved in the episode. This musical montage would take clips from the episode itself and reiterate the life lessons learned in the episode.
- Jim Cummings - Mr. Bumpy, the Closet Monster, Destructo, various
- Rob Paulsen - Squishington, various
- Gail Matthius - Miss Molly Coddle, the comfort doll, Anti-Molly (in the episode "Farewell, 2 Arms"), various
- Jeff Bennett - Gloog
- Scott McAffe - The Boy (actor)
- Brad Garrett - Big Mike (in the episode "Baby Jail")
- Other characters: The Cute Dolls, Phil Silverfish, Sleemoth (Gloog's partner), Germ Girl, Karaoke Cafe, Lachlan Scott
- Performing Musicians for the music of the show: Wayne Boone (Guitar), Kevin Konklin (Guitar), Eric Ferry (Drums), Ray Brinker (Drums)
"Twas the Night Before Bumpy" was a Christmas special that aired in 1995.
- Jim Cummings (Mr. Bumpy) was nominated for an Emmy for Voice Acting in the Field of Animation in 1994.
Bump in the Night had several video releases all of which are out of print. In 2007, a DVD was released that contained seven episodes and various "Karaoke Cafe" segments. In April 2010, Shout! Factory released Bump In The Night: The Complete Series on DVD.
- Mr. Bumpy
- Tales From Under the Bed
- The Hubbish About Rubbish
- Hocus-Pocus, Pranks and Play
- Monsters on a Mission
- Dreams and Dilemmas
- Night of the Living Bread
- Mr. Bumpy's Karaoke Cafe
- 'Twas The Night Before Bumpy (Christmas special, 63 minutes. Originally split into 3 episodes)
- Night of the Living Bread (Original September 23, 2003. Re-Released August 21, 2007)
- Twas The Night Before Bumpy (October 23, 2007)
- Bump in the Night-The Complete Series (Shout Factory! release, April 20, 2010; Out of Print as late 2012)
- Mr. Bumpy's Unofficial Home Page
- Bump in the Night at the Internet Movie Database
- Bump in the Night at TV.com