Bundelkhand Institute of Engineering & Technology
|Bundelkhand Institute of Engineering and Technology Jhansi|
|Motto||Aano bhadra kritvo yantu vishwatah
Motto in English
|Let noble thoughts flow into my mind from all directions|
|Type||Government-aided autonomous institute|
|Affiliation||University Grants Commission|
|Chairman||Prof N.S. Gajbhiye|
|Dean||Dr. A.K. Nigam|
|Director||Prof M.K. Gupta|
|Location||Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Campus||240 acres (0.97 km2)|
Bundelkhand Institute of Engineering and Technology, Jhansi (Hindi: बुन्देलखण्ड अभियान्त्रिकी एवं प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान ) (commonly known as BIET Jhansi) is a government-funded autonomous engineering college in Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh, India. It is a constituent college of Uttar Pradesh Technical University. It is recognised by the All India Council for Technical Education.
It was established in 1986 by the Government of Uttar Pradesh to provide impetus to technical education in the state and was the fifth government engineering college in the state. The first batch of the college was admitted in 1989 and graduated in 1993.
The highest executive body of the institute is the Board of Governors. Prof M.K. Gupta is currently officiating as the Director of the institute.
- 1 Management and administration
- 2 History and foundation
- 3 Admissions
- 4 Ranking
- 5 Accreditation
- 6 Affiliation
- 7 Location
- 8 Departments
- 9 Infrastructure
- 10 Placement record
- 11 Societies
- 12 Events
- 13 Bencolites
- 14 Notable alumni
- 15 References
- 16 External links
Management and administration
BIET Jhansi is funded by the government of Uttar Pradesh. However, many of the new projects are also being supported by the World Bank under the Technical Education Quality Improvement Project (TEQIP).
Bundelkhand Institute of Engineering and Technology is a registered society under the Society Registration Act 1860, at Jhansi. The Board of Governors is the governing body of the society. The board includes:
- Prof V G Das, Retd. Director, Dayalbagh Educational Institute Agra as Chairman
- Sri Sunil Mittal, IAS, Principal Secretary, Technical Education' Government of Uttar Pradesh as Vice Chairman
- Prof Sanjay Dhande, Director, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur as Member
- Prof Pradipta Banerji, Director, Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee as Member
- Prof. R K Khandal, Vice-Chancellor, Uttar Pradesh Technical University as Member
- Nominee of the All India Council of Technical Education as Member
History and foundation
The foundation stone of the institute was laid in May 1986 by the then Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Vir Bahadur Singh. The first director of the institute was Prof. Ram Singh Nirjar, who became the Chairman of All India Council of Technical Education. He assumed office as the first director of the institute (then known as "Bundelkhand Engineering College") in 1988.
The institute started with two branches - Computer Science and Engineering, and Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, with an intake of 30 students in each. Now the institute has seven undergraduate. courses and five postgraduate courses with annual intake around 475 in each year.
The campus added two additional branches - Mechanical Engineering and Civil Engineering - with an intake of 20 students each in 1990. In 1996, Chemical Engineering with an intake of 30 students was started and in 2000 Information Technology with intake of 40 students was added. In the same year, the intake of Mechanical Engineering, and Computer Science and Engineering, were raised to 45 and 60 students respectively, and Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering was rechristened as Electronics and Communication Engineering and intake was raised to 60. In 2006, the intake of Civil Engineering was increased to 45. From 2007 a four-year B. Tech programme in Electrical Engineering with an intake of 60 students was added to the existing B. Tech programmes.
In 2005 two postgraduate programmes in Environmental Engineering and Construction Technology and Management (in the Civil Engineering Department) and one in Manufacturing Science and Technology (in the Mechanical Engineering Department) with intake of 18 students each, was started. In 2006 an M. Tech. programme in Digital Communication System (in the Electronics and Communication Engineering Department) with an intake of 20 students was added to the list of postgraduate programmes. In 2007, a two-year management programme leading to an M.B.A. degree with an intake of 60 students, was started. The total intake of students in the institute, including M. Tech. programmes, is 474.
The institute admits students for its Bachelor in Technology (B.Tech) programme from all over India through the competitive Common Entrance Test SEE-UPTU.
The B.Tech degrees in Civil, Electronics and Communication, Mechanical, Computer Science and Chemical branches of the institute have been accredited by the National Board of Accreditation. The CS and ME branches have been re-accredited for a period of three years, starting 2004, whereas the CE branch has been accredited for a period of five years.
The institute became autonomous in 2011-2012 session for B.Tech. branches, But is affiliated to the Gautam Buddh Technical University, Lucknow for the award of its M.Tech and MBA degrees.
BIET is located in the historical city of Jhansi in the Bundelkhand region of the state of Uttar Pradesh in north India. The institute's campus is located around 12 kilometers from the Jhansi Central Railway Station, on the Jhansi-Kanpur National Highway (NH 25).
The Department of Chemical Engineering was established in 1996. The department has organized training programs under World Bank Assisted, Technical Education Quality Improvement Program (TEQIP).
The Department of Civil Engineering was established in 1989. The department is engaged by the Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India, Rural Engineering Services and U.P. Jal Nigam to train field and sector professionals for government departments. The department does research projects sponsored by AICTE/DST/UP-CST.
Computer Science and Engineering
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering was established in 1989. The department is a member of the Computer Society of India (CSI). The department has a Software Development Lab, Information System Lab, Computer Graphics Lab, UNIX and LINUX Lab, and a Database Management Lab.The unique feature of college is SUN Java Lab, which is not available in any other college of UPTU. The department gives internet service to students through ISDN line provided by BSNL. These computers are connected to each other through LAN and these are supported by a SUN server with EM 64T (extended Memory 64 bit Technology Intel Xeon processor) with 800 or higher MHz front side bus and hyper threading support.
The systems are equipped with operating systems such as LINUX, UNIX, Solaris, Windows NT, Windows XP and software packages that include Java, Oracle 10i, Developer 2000, C++/C, Visual Basic, ASP, SQL Server etc. and open source software packages.
Electronics and Communication Engineering
The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering was established in 1998. The department has a Microprocessor Lab. The Digital Electronics Lab is used for study of encoders and decoders, multiplexers and demulti, flip -flops, counters and shift registers, and parity generators and checkers. A brief idea of digital I.C. is also provided.
A Fiber Optics Communication Lab is established in the department, provides education on fiber optics communication, analog and digital link, attenuation: banding, and impurities. Other labs include Printed Circuit Board Lab and Electrical Machine Lab.
The Department contributes to IEEE by doing research.
The Department of Information Technology was established in 2000. It hosts Digital and Computer Graphics Lab which consist of 15 Logic Trainer Boards, performing logical testing facilities. The Department is equipped with 64 bit RISC Based IDNY (R400) silicon graphic server. The Department has Image Processing tools, Meta Labs, and other graphic facilities.
The department has Chemical Engineering lab, Fluid Mechanics Lab, Fluid and Particle Operations Lab, Heat Transfer Lab, Chemical Reaction Engineering Lab, Process Dynamics and Instrumentation Lab, Chemical Technology Lab, Energy Lab and Mass Transfer Lab. The department has a CAD lab with Chemical Engineering software like ASPEN, ORIGIN,and PROSIMULATOR.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in 1990. The department has a CAD Lab equipped with Pentium IV 2.8 GHz, plotters etc. and software packages such as Pro-e (Wild Fire), Catia, Autocad 2000. The department has a Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Lab, Fluid Machinery Lab, Machine Lab, Heat Transfer Lab, Automobile Lab and Materials testing lab.
The institute has excellent physical infrastructure with lush green campus sprawling over 240 acres (0.97 km2).Total built-up area of the institute building is 28700 m². The inside of the campus resembles a city, with gardens, lawns, residential complexes and wide roads. The campus has its own water supply and backup electricity supply along with shopping centers to cater to the daily needs of residents.
The campus is divided into four zones:
- Student Residential Zone
- Faculty and Staff Residential Zone
- Student Recreational Area, that includes the Student Activity Center (SAC), various forums and their offices, cricket ground, basketball courts and hockey field
- Academic Zone that includes academic institute building, engineering departments, offices, lecture halls, central library and workshops.
The Central Library spreads over 1100 m² containing both paper and digital books. The Administrative block houses the Director's Office and the Central Library. Each department has its own separate block which houses the lecture halls and respective labs.
The student residential zone is divided into two main sectors—one for men's hostels and another for women's hostels. There are six hostels (four for boys and two for girls). The hostels are named after the books/ compositions of the Hindi poet Maithili Sharan Gupt.
- Vrindavan (For 1st Year students)
- Saket (For 2nd Year students)
- Panchwati (For 3rd Year students)
- Jai Bharat (For Final Year/ MBA/ M.Tech students)
- Yashodhara (For Girls)
- Kalpana (For Girls)
Faculty list(incomplete) The Teacher Student Ratio stands at 1:20. Faculty with post graduate qualification stands at 100% whereas the percentage of faculty with PhD is 68%.
The institute employs senior technical personnel as guest faculty following the trend of industry-academia collaboration. The institute encourages industrial trips to, and closer co-operation with, government and private industry.
The Central Library has a collection of 33,500 books including 8,300 books by the World bank. It has 86 journals and 580 back volumes of IEEE, ASWE, American Society of Civil Engineers, ACM, ACI, etc. International journals and technical papers are accessible to students through the Indian National Digital Library in Engineering INDEST-AICTE consortium.The World Bank also contributes a variety of books for the college.
IBM Centre of Excellence
IBM identified BIET Jhansi as an IBM Centre of Excellence, starting academic session 2010-11. Through the IBM Academic Initiative, IBM is working with BIET Jhansi to teach students the open-standards skills to compete in the ever-changing technology workplace by conducting training for students through faculty enabled by IBM. http://www-07.ibm.com/in/projectpraviin/coe_up.html
The institute has an excellent placement record. The entire class of 2012 were placed in multinational and national companies. Some of the past recruiters at BIET include JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Adobe Systems(India), Aricent Technologies, Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC India), Infosys Technologies, Accenture(India), Sasken, Reliance Industries Ltd, Samsung Electronics, Tata Consultancy Services, HCL Technologies, Pepsi, Wipro, Tech Mahindra, Mahindra Satyam, GlobalLogic, SAIL,BAJAJ POWER, UPRVUNL, EGIS India Consulting Engineers,Vizag steel, Hindustan Unilever, Jaypeee Group, Larsen & Toubro, Jindal Group, Syntellent, Era Constructions, DSCL, Soma Enterprises among others.
The students of the new MBA programme underwent an intensive two months summer training at ITC, Coke, Reliance, Godrej, Blue Star, LML, HAL, BAJAJ, BHEL, Hindalco, IFFCO, HDFC, ICICI,NTPC, among others.
Student Branch Councils
- CEF (Civil Engineering Forum)
- COSSCO (Computer Science Student Council)
- FCE (Forum of Chemical Engineering)
- FEEE (Forum of Electrical & Electronics Engineers)
- MEF (Mechanical Engineers Forum)
- SCOIT (Student Council of Information Technology)
- CSC (Cultural Sub Council)
- FAH (Fine Arts and Hobbies Sub Council)
- LSC (Literary Sub Council)LSC
Annual cultural festival - Utsav
Utsav provides opportunity to the budding talent in the institute to showcase their talent to a larger audience.
Annual technical festival - TeChZioN
TeChZioN is the annual technical festival which allows students to showcase their technical abilities beyond the ambit of academics. Many colleges of repute are invited to take part in TeChZioN. Technical symposiums and guest speakers from many areas of technical research and development mark this event.
Annual sports festival - PACE
PACE is the annual sports fest which promotes a spirit of friendly competition among the branches of the college. The overall winner branch parades through the institute campus.
Annual alumni meeting - Kutumb
The institute organizes Kutumb every year to celebrate the success and growth of its alumni and to share their experience with present students.
The institute used to be known as Bundelkhand Engineering College. BENCOL is an acronym for Bundelkhand ENgineering COLlege. Hence the term "Bencolites" refers to the students (current and graduated) of the institute. Though BENCOL was changed to BIET (in around 1994-1995), the term Bencolites is still used by alumni.
- Manish kumar, Director of Global Sales at iGATE Patni
- Nitin Jain, Director (Business Development), Larsen & Toubro Infotech
- Shuktij Singh, COO, ZTE Telecom (India)
- Himanshu Goyal, Global Client Director, IBM
- Mohit Verma, Vice President (Corporate Banking) at Barclays
- Manish Bhan, Founder & CEO, Illumenta Corp.
- Anurag Gaur, Founder & CEO, Esquvi Technologies
- Prashant Parashar, Founder & CEO, Touchsy 
- Rajesh Mago, Open Source Technology evangelist
- Gunjan Agarwal, Director at Amdocs
- Anurag Gaur, Director at Mahathi Software
- Rahul Lakhmani, Founder and CEO, Skiify
- Navneet Kumar Singh, Founder & CEO, Aeesoft.com
- Vineet Tomar, IAS, 2013 Batch
- Neha Singh, Founder, ShutterMonks.com
- Yogesh Kumar, Executive Director, TTI consulting Engineers, Sydney
- Deepak Mittal, Member of the Board of Directors, Innovative Scheduling Inc
- Deepesh Bhandari, Vice President (Operations Technology) at Nomura Holdings, Inc. (erstwhile Lehman Brothers)
- Alok Kaushal, CEO at Deepija Telenetworks 
- Shyam Gupta, CEO at S-Tech Realtors Pvt
- Indrajeet Singh, VP at IndusInd Bank
- Aniruddha Kumar, Asst Vice President, Kalpataru Power Transmission Limited.
- Amit Khanna, VP (Marketing Analytics) Genpact
- Sachin Gupta, Director, SPX Corporation.
- Karan Singh, Founder & CEO, Brainzen Web Solutions Pvt. Ltd. (Brainsln.com)
- Nihal Ahmad, Founder & CEO, IQRA Software Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
- "Microsoft Word - TEQIP 10th JRM and ICR Mission AM Final.doc" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- "Ranking of Colleges Based on Cumulative Performance on Average Gross Marks (Theory Papers Only)" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-05-03.
- "IBM - Software Centre of Excellence - Uttar Pradesh - India". 07.ibm.com. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "past recruiters at BIET".[dead link]
- "Growing with AP". Andhra Business. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- Official website
- Literary Sub Council
- Gautam Buddh Technical University
- Connecting IIT Kanpur with BIET Jhansi
- Bifurcation of UPTU results into more scramble for Government Engineering Colleges
- BIET mentors and hosts new upcoming Government Engineering Colleges in U.P
- E-learning project at BIET Jhansi launched by IIT Kanpur
- BIET Jhansi to give vocational training
- New indoor stadium coming up at BIET Jhansi
- Students create website for info on top UP engineering colleges