Bunibonibee Cree Nation
Bunibonibee Cree Nation, formerly known as Oxford House First Nation and as Oxford House Band of Indians, is a First Nation located along the eastern shoreline of Oxford Lake at theheadwatersof the Hayes River and is approximately 950 kilometres (590 mi) northeast of Winnipeg, Manitoba.
The residents are predominantly Woodland Cree and, more specifically Rocky Cree (Asinīskāwiyiniwak). The First Nation is a signatory to the 1909 Treaty 5 Adhesion. Bunibonibee Cree Nation has offices in Oxford House, Manitoba.
The First Nation's governing council are elected under the Indian Act Electoral System, Section 74, of the Indian Act of Canada. consisting of a Chief and six Councillors for a two-year term. The current administration whose term expires December 2, 2013, are Chief Timothy Muskego, and Councillors Johnny Chubb, Alpheus Hart, Anthony Weenusk, Forbes (James) Weenusk and Paul Weenusk.
The band council of Bunibonibee Cree Nation, in turn, is a member of Keewatin Tribal Council (KTC), a regional technical/political council  and Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak(MKO) as northern regional political council and the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs (AMC) as the provincial political council and Assembly of First Nations (AFN) as the federal political council.
The First Nation have reserved for themselves 13 separate tracts, of which Oxford House 24 IR serves as their main reserve, containing the Settlement of Oxford House, Manitoba.
- High Hill Lake IR—422 hectares (1,040 acres)
- Kisipikamak IR—1,879 hectares (4,640 acres)
- Munro Lake IR—1,491 hectares (3,680 acres)
- Notin Sakahekun IR—2,822.40 hectares (6,974.3 acres)
- Opischikonayak Nation IR—254.80 hectares (629.6 acres)
- Oxford House 24 IR—4,876.20 hectares (12,049.4 acres)
- Oxford House 24A IR—146 hectares (360 acres)
- Oxford House 24B IR—1,737.60 hectares (4,293.7 acres)
- Oxford House 24C IR—402 hectares (990 acres)
- Oxford House 24D IR—4.50 hectares (11.1 acres)
- Oxford Lake North Shore IR—1,385 hectares (3,420 acres)
- Wapisew Lake IR—71 hectares (180 acres)
- Whitemud Lake IR—2,068 hectares (5,110 acres)
- "AANDC (First Nation Profiles) Bunibonibee Cree Nation". 2013-09-15. Archived from the original on 2012-05-27.
- "Keewatin Tribal Council website". 2013-09-15.
- Bunibonibee Cree Nation profile at Keewatin Tribal Council
- Bunibonibee Cree Nation profile at Indian and Northern Affairs Canada
- Community profile at Kitayan CFDC
- Oxford House at Weather Network
- Map of Oxford House 24 at Statcan
|This Manitoba location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|