Burchard of Würzburg
Saint Burchard of Würzburg
Engraving by Johann Salver.
|Venerated in||Roman Catholic Church Orthodox Church|
Burchard of Würzburg (in German Burkard or Burkhard) was an Anglo-Saxon missionary who became the first Bishop of Würzburg (741–754).
He was an Anglo-Saxon who left England after the death of his parents and joined Boniface in his missionary labors, some time after 732. When Boniface organized bishoprics in Middle Germany, he placed Burchard over that of Würzburg; his consecration can not have occurred later than the summer of 741, since in the autumn of that year, he was documented as officiating as a bishop at the consecration of Willibald of Eichstädt.
Pope Zachary confirmed the new bishopric in 743. Burchard appears again as a member of the first German council in 742, and as an envoy to Rome from Boniface in 748. With Fulrad of Saint-Denis, he brought to Zachary the famous question of Pepin, whose answer was supposed to justify the assumption of regal power by the Carolingians.
His feast day is 14 October.
- Kirsch, Johann Peter. "St. Burchard of Würzurg." The Catholic Encyclopedia Vol. 3. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1908. 6 September 2017
- Fr. Alban Butler. “Saint Burckard, First Bishop of Wurtzburg, Confessor”. Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Principal Saints, 1866. CatholicSaints.Info. 14 October 2013. Web
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bautz: Burchard. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Band 1, Bautz, Hamm 1975. 2., unveränderte Auflage Hamm 1990, ISBN 3-88309-013-1, Sp. 816–817.
- Wilhelm Engel: Burchard. In: Neue Deutsche Biographie (NDB). Band 3, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1957, ISBN 3-428-00184-2, S. 29 (Digitalisat).
- Heinrich Hahn: Burghard. In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Band 3, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1876, S. 564–566.
- Konrad Schäfer, Heinrich Schießer: Leben und Wirken des hl. Burkhard (= Bad Neustädter Beiträge zur Geschichte und Heimatkunde Frankens. Band 4). Bad Neustadt a. d. Saale 1986, ISBN 978-3-9800482-4-8.
- Heinrich Wagner: Würzburger Diözesan Geschichtsblätter (WDGB). Band 65, 2003 (Die Würzburger Bischöfe 741-842), S. 17–43.
- Alfred Wendehorst: Burchard (Nr. 14). In: Lexikon des Mittelalters (LexMA). Band 2, Artemis & Winkler, München/Zürich 1983, ISBN 3-7608-8902-6, Sp. 951.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Burkard.|
- Burkard in the Frisian Chronicle
- "Burchard of Würzburg". Germania Sacra people index (in German). Göttingen Academy of Sciences and Humanities.
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Jackson, Samuel Macauley, ed. (1914). "article name needed". New Schaff–Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge (third ed.). London and New York: Funk and Wagnalls.
|This article about a saint from England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a German Catholic bishop or archbishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|